No digital audio in jack on new 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smadder, Jun 9, 2009.

1. smadder macrumors member

I don't know if anyone noticed, but one of the audio ports has gone away on the new 13" MBP. I checked the specs on the Apple site and it says that the single audio jack serves as digital/analog audio out and as a user selectable analog audio in. I'm assuming that the "switch" for the port to audio in is controlled via software, although it could be a combo jack... it's not clear. But not having digital audio in is kind of a bite in the ass. If you don't have an external audio interface, the digital audio input was a great feature - something that is rare on any laptop that isn't a Mac. I am grateful that firewire has returned and that an SD slot has been added. I just wish the engineers could have figured out a way to squeeze in one little extra hole on the side. They kept it in the 15" models.

For a lot of audio professionals who have outboard interfaces it probably won't be missed, but for those who used it, it's absence sucks. Plus, if you want to run a mic and headphones at the same time, what do you do now?

If anyone knows what's up or if there is some kind of workaround I'm not noticing, I'd be curious to hear.

2. ..........? macrumors member

The unibody macbook never have digital audio in even the macbook pro 15" never had digital in only digital out via optical.

edit: i was wrong about the macbook pro 15". I might seem that the 13" macbook audio in and out has been combine into one port instead of two in the previous one.