No directX via bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Intranquill, May 14, 2011.

1. Intranquill macrumors newbie

For the few who have answered my previous post, this is the next chapter in my story of failing miserably at grasping anything Mac related. For those just joining us, welcome, I am awful at everything I try to do to this high end 2011Macbook Pro.

The newest issue is I can't seem to obtain any form of DirectX. The Windows Index gives my card a 1.0 because of this I guess.

Searched the Windows download database and Googled a bit, but could only find developer downloads for DirectX or some "third party software finder" programs that promised DirectX and a bunch of other stuff I never knew I needed! ;P So my options are rather dry at the moment.

Also, not new thread worthy, but still needs resolved -

1. File becomes corrupt when downloading Firefox.(searched online, says I should delete every file involving Mozilla and reinstall, but I need permission from SYSTEM? Couldn't figure it out on my PC, can't figure it out now, as to what the hell that means)

2. My trackpads bottom right click doesn't register on Windows. (not sure if that's normal or not)

I hate to continue posting my silly problems, but I really have no one else to console about this damn laptop. I really do appreciate any assistance!

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

This might have been covered elsewhere, but have you installed the Boot Camp drivers yet (i.e., inserted your Mac OS install disc after installing windows)?

3. Intranquill, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

Intranquill thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I'm sure it's been covered, but I searched the forums and didn't find anything with in the first couple pages.

As far as the OS X disc, yes, I installed those files.

4. Intranquill thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Intranquill thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the error it gives me

dxerror.log and dirextx.log error

6. Quad5Ny, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

You did make sure to run Windows Update multiple times to get the latest Service Pack/Updates before you installed anything right? You always want to do this first, as soon as you have a Internet connection (You could even burn the latest service pack to a CD and install it before you have a connection).

Which MacBook Pro do you have? The one with only Intel Graphics or the Intel+AMD one?

Also, did you install using a Vanilla Windows disc or did you use some Dell/HP DVD?

You have either Vista or Windows 7. Both of those versions of Windows ship with a current version of DirectX, v10 for Vista/v11 for Win7 (you can update Vista to v11 by using Windows Update). You do not need the link you posted to install a Video card driver (although some games might require it).

I'm not exactly sure why your getting that on (a fresh?) copy of Windows, but go to "C:\Windows\Logs" and post the Directx logs here.

If that's the exact error, you might not have Administrator permissions to write to the Logs directory. Is your account a Administrator Account?

Did you try updating your score: Click the Start Orb > Right Click on Computer > Choose Properties > Click Windows Experience Index > Choose Re-run the assessment

Lol, what stuff would that be? Don't download and install random things.

Although I do recommend a Anti-Virus/Malware Program, this one is Free: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Files should not become corrupt when downloading, somethings wrong here (and it probably doesn't have anything to do with FF).

Firefox has its own uninstaller that will remove its files and your FF user profile: Control Panel > Uninstall a program > Double Click Mozilla Firefox

SYSTEM is a root account, what are you deleting that its giving you that warning? Again, does your User account have Administrator privileges?

If you installed the Boot Camp drivers and have everything up to date (You remembered to run Apple Software Update right?). Then you should have a Boot Camp icon in the system tray

To Enable it: Click on Boot Camp Icon > Choose Boot Camp Control Panel > Check the "Secondary Click" Box

What? On the OS X Side or Windows Side?

So what, you just had a box popup that said "Internal System Error"?

I think you should get a Friend who knows what He/She is doing and walk you through re-installing Windows (maybe OS X too). You could learn a lot.

7. Intranquill thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello Quad. Thanks for the extensive reply. Let me answer each one thoroughly.

Windows is completely updated EXCEPT for IE9 and the Windows Malicious Removal Tool, and those are exempt by choice.

The Macbook Pro I have is the early 2011 15 inch with the AMD HD 6750M, 8GB of RAM, and a quadcore 2.3GHz processor.

I installed Windows 7. You're right, each copy does come with DirectX, so imagine my confusion when I can't run a damn thing requiring it lol.

It is a fresh install from an unopened legal copy obtained from a Best Buy. As far as logs go,

[05/15/11 00:02:07] module: dxupdate(Sep 4 2009), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 5725, function: DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn

Failed API: SetupIterateCabinet()
    Error: (32) - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Unable to iterate through D:\Redist\DirectX\Feb2007_XACT_x64.cab. The file may be damaged.

--------------------
    [05/15/11 00:02:07] module: dsetup32(Sep 4 2009), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 280, function: CSetup::InstallPlugIn

DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn() failed.

--------------------
    [05/15/11 00:02:07] module: dsetup32(Sep 4 2009), file: setup.cpp, line: 1701, function: CSetup::SetupForDirectX

InstallPlugIn() failed.

--------------------
    [05/14/11 20:48:56] module: DXWSetup(Mar 30 2011), file: dxwsetup.cpp, line: 229, function: CDXWSetup::InitInstallEngine

Sections are not initialized.

--------------------
    [05/14/11 20:48:56] module: DXWSetup(Mar 30 2011), file: psheets.cpp, line: 705, function: PreinstDlgProc

CDXWSetup::InitInstallEngine() failed.

--------------------
    [05/14/11 20:55:46] module: DXWSetup(Mar 30 2011), file: dxwsetup.cpp, line: 229, function: CDXWSetup::InitInstallEngine

--------------------
    [05/14/11 20:55:46] module: DXWSetup(Mar 30 2011), file: psheets.cpp, line: 705, function: PreinstDlgProc

--------------------
    [05/14/11 21:07:22] module: DXWSetup(Mar 30 2011), file: dxwsetup.cpp, line: 229, function: CDXWSetup::InitInstallEngine

--------------------
    [05/14/11 21:07:22] module: DXWSetup(Mar 30 2011), file: psheets.cpp, line: 705, function: PreinstDlgProc

That was under DXError on the file path you gave me. I assume that's what you were looking for?

I am set to Admin on my account.

I updated my graphics score and my graphics now sit at 6.9. But with no results from this now being recognized.

As far as installing random things, it was sarcasm, lol.

Dealing with FF, there is no actual installed program, what I meant by deleting the files was to delete the installer and any files downloaded prior to the error just before installation. It downloads, then comes the error, and there are Mozzila files on my HDD, which leads me to my next issue, the SYSTEM needs to give me permission. I'm set to Admid, so why can I not delete my Mozilla files so I can try and reinstall?

I have updated Bootcamp, and there are no current updates left. And yes, after I posted that, I did find out how to fix the clicking. Silly me.

The error internal system error occurs on the Windows side when trying to download that link to DX I posted earlier.

My new problem? I can't even download the Catalyst drivers to my Windows side because "I need a graphics adapter" or so it said after it failed to install. Under Device Manager it evens lists my card correctly, so this really baffles me.

And lastly, no friend who really knows anything about a Mac. So I have to resort to people who care to give enough time and help to me on forums like this, heh.

The way I see it, if no one can resolve this or can make sense of it, I have 3 options.

1. Use my 90 day free phone tech support, and see if they can get to the root of the issue.

2. Reinstall Windows.

3. Reinstall both Windows and OSX.

8. RollTide macrumors 6502

RollTide

I had these exact same errors. I updated windows, and apple updates. That is important because it updates you to 3.2 or something. I restarted, downloaded some game and off I went.

9. Intranquill thread starter macrumors newbie

Really RollTide? I've updated everything I could. Nothing seems to solve these issues.

10. RER macrumors newbie

I am having the exact same problem now. So I'm curious if Intranquill ever got it to work?? Is uninstalling the whole windows partition and installing it again really the answer? It seems odd if windows is actually able to install itself incorrectly and need another go.

Also if RollTide is watching, what was updated to 3.2? Bootcamp?

Hoping this will still show up somewhere even though it's an old thread :)