No Discounts for students on iPhone 3G Plans??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThomasPaul10, Jul 1, 2008.

1. ThomasPaul10 macrumors newbie

I went to an AT&T store today to ask some questions about the upcoming launch of the iPhone 3G and to get a pre-credit check prior to buying one. Well, for one of my questions what is the discount for being a student at University of Central Florida? They looked it up and it was 15% which I already figured from putting in my email address and receiving an email about this for the premier website. But after telling me this they informed that the discount can not be applied to the iPhone 3G plans because of rules set by apple. Is this true or has anyone else been given this information also because I believe they were wrong since they provide the service and apple only supplies the phone. Let me know what you guys think. Sry for the long post :)

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Same rules applied to the v1 iPhone, even Enterprise pricing is fairly new to the iPhone.

3. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Is it because they dont except student discounts? because I've been told that I can through my employment.

4. Chrispy88 macrumors member

This is crap. AT&T said that any current voice plan will work as long as we add a data plan! I'm a student as well and I won't upgrade unless they provide my discount (to cover the ridiculous 5$ text charge)

Anyone else have any details on this...?

5. ThomasPaul10 thread starter macrumors newbie

I also asked if I could apple the measly 8% discount Publix offers since I am employed by them and they said they were unable to do this also do to the rules by apple.

6. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

i talked to a rep from AT&T today about the discount, she told me they will be allowed for iPhone 3G, not iPhone EDGE.

7. Rangerdeputy macrumors newbie

I was in the store yesterday working on getting my wife a new phone, she doesn't want an iphone. Anyways, I was asking them why my employment discount was moved to my wife's line on our family plan. They said because 90% of employers who sign up with a discounted rate through AT&T opt to not include the iphone due to the pricing AT&T wants to charge them. So if you have an iphone on line 1.. Line 1 cannot recieve employment discounts which include students.

I know this is information from one person, but it's what I was told and when I called customer service today they stated the same thing. I think it's bogus, but good luck to you all.