Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merced_x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2021
So I have done digging through google and numerous other sites.

this is a 13” 2015 MacBook Pro model A1502. The original SSD would not show when trying to reinstall from safe mode “cmd, option, r” so I thought the ssd failed and bought a new one. The connector is soldered straight to the motherboard so there’s no cable that could be faulty. At least that’s what it looks like. I replaced the old ssd with a new one and still no disk showing when trying to install. I have also tried the option to select “show all drives” but it is greyed out and cannot be selected.
At this point I’m not sure what else I can do and not finding any more information on the web. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached photos.
Thank you

edit: this is the new ssd

DATARAM 512GB M.2 M-Key PCIe NVMe SSD​

73263C4A-EB0B-44A1-8D8F-7C142E8097B5.jpeg
C42EA867-44BA-4320-95F2-25F0D3806CF4.jpeg
A57E4557-82FF-45D2-A41D-D27C9F814E88.jpeg
E7EC6689-7A02-4A77-90B0-74EB607E4D14.jpeg

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My suggestions.
This might get you booted, though it doesn't fix the problem with the internal drive.

Get an EXTERNAL USB3 drive. Can be SSD or platter-based HDD.
Connect it to a USB port.
Boot to internet recovery (command-option-R).
Get the OS utilities.
Open disk utility and go to the view menu and choose "show ALL devices".
Can you see the external drive?
If so, format/erase it to "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled, GUID partition format"
Close disk utility and open the OS installer.
Begin clicking through. When the installer asks WHERE you want to install, "aim it" at the EXTERNAL drive.
See if you can get a copy of the OS installed on the external drive.
Set it up with a simple administrative account (just a username and password).

Now you have a way to boot the MBP to the finder.
Again, doesn't solve the problem with the internal drive, but at least you have a working MBP and can progress from there...

Merced_x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2021
My suggestions.
This might get you booted, though it doesn't fix the problem with the internal drive.

Get an EXTERNAL USB3 drive. Can be SSD or platter-based HDD.
Connect it to a USB port.
Boot to internet recovery (command-option-R).
Get the OS utilities.
Open disk utility and go to the view menu and choose "show ALL devices".
Can you see the external drive?
If so, format/erase it to "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled, GUID partition format"
Close disk utility and open the OS installer.
Begin clicking through. When the installer asks WHERE you want to install, "aim it" at the EXTERNAL drive.
See if you can get a copy of the OS installed on the external drive.
Set it up with a simple administrative account (just a username and password).

Now you have a way to boot the MBP to the finder.
Again, doesn't solve the problem with the internal drive, but at least you have a working MBP and can progress from there...
Yeah I’ve thought about doing this but like you said, still doesn’t fix the internal issue. One thing I might try is buy a housing for this m.2 nmve ssd plug it into my PC, format it, and then install Catalina on it and see if that works.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Why are you trying to install Mavericks? That model MacBook Pro came pre-installed with Yosemite. You can not install a version of macOS previous to that. And like @Audit13 stated, you must be running at least High Sierra in order to install that SSD.

Reactions: Audit13

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
I looked up Amazon page on this drive and see this:
  • Requires Mac OS X 10.13 High Sierra or Higher BEFORE and AFTER installation
I think that explains something. Have you checked the specs before buying?
And as noted above, if this MBP came with some version of macOS, it cannot get older version, there are no drivers for this system, it will not work.

Reactions: DeltaMac

Merced_x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2021
Why are you trying to install Mavericks? That model MacBook Pro came pre-installed with Yosemite. You can not install a version of macOS previous to that. And like @Audit13 stated, you must be running at least High Sierra in order to install that SSD.
Mavericks just comes up when trying to install the OS. What I thought about doing is creating a bootable drive with Catalina on it and plugging it into the MacBook and seeing if that will get the updates required to recognize the ssd. I did forget to mention that the MacBook defaults to trying to install Mavericks.
Would using a bootable drive help? Do I also need to get a housing for the ssd and format it using another computer?
Tthanks for all the tips so far everyone.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What is the last OS the MacBook was running? Mavericks will not recognize the drive.

The bootrom can only be updated when installing the OS to an internal drive. Depending on the current bootrom, you may be able to install High Sierra, Catalina or Big Sur from a USB installer.

Reactions: TimmuJapan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.