No display feedback

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ianoreo, Dec 10, 2012.

1. ianoreo macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Had my macbook pro (2009) running fine this morning. For some reason now it wont show me any display feedback? I thought it was the logic board but it seems the computer is still totally responsive (boot up chime, volume keys feedback, can play itunes). I tried an external display but nothing showed up. I opened it up to check for anything strange and didn't see any signs of liquid damage. I also reset the PRAM.

I assume something's up with the graphics card but unfortunately it's finals week here and I'm pretty worried about how fast I can get this repaired. Anyone have additional recommendations? I just had the macbook's logic board replaced for over 800 this summer and I really hope I won't have to go through that all over again.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

2. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

What do you mean by "display feedback"? You mean graphics?

No video output at all does sound like hardware failure; I would not spend $800 to replace the logic board again if that's what it needs. If you can get access to another machine, put it in target disk mode and see whether you can back it up, at least.

3. ianoreo, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012

ianoreo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah no screen output at all. My last backup was last week, but I don't have another mac around. I can't replace the graphics card without replacing the whole board can I?

Edit: Wondering why the external won't work, considering the macbook seems to still be running. Can a macbook properly boot up with the graphics card not functioning? If only I could blindly navigate to carbon copy cloner for one more backup >.<

4. ianoreo thread starter macrumors newbie

Looked more closely at it today with a friend. Looks like the LVDS cable had come loose in the port. A missing rubber foot directly above the port seemed to have been the culprit....going to get a replacement today.