no display from startup Macpro Early '08

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by triotary, Sep 27, 2010.

1. triotary macrumors regular

Hi Guys I have a Mac Pro (Early 2008) running on 10.5.8 OSX with apple 20" display and 16G RAM.

Initially started with my MACPRO not waking up from sleep and has to force the shut down with power button. Finally realised it was due to my Epson scanner connected via USB...

The main issues now is with the display, black screen on startup. I can still control the volume and disk eject/close, just no display. Force shut down with power button numerous time but futile. Finally solved it with SMC reset.

it becomes an on and off issues... and continuously I solved it with SMC reset.... sometimes needed 2 or 3 resets to get it to work...

and finally for the past few days... SMC reset can't solve it either... no display on startup, and same thing I can control the volume and disk eject/close. Have tried my monitor on other mac and it worked fine.

Now this is strange... if I let the mac cool off totally.... after a SMC reset.... the display will comes up fine...

Any idea what is going on??? bad video card? bad PRAM battery?

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

I presume you got ATI 2600XT. If so - it's dead and you need new card. These crappy cards just dying this way. You're not the first and not the last one with this problem.

3. triotary thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your reply. Yeah I got that card.... I do have apple care but it is no point right? As they just gonna replace it with the same card?

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Contact them then, maybe you'll get better card for replacement. 2600XT is discontinued. Bad is, that you probably will have to leave them your machine for a test.

5. triotary thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot for the advice! I'm calling them to arrange for them to pick up my mac pro. Hopefully they can get it done within 3 weeks~