No display when reconnecting MBA to TV via HDMI

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by conesgnomes, Oct 26, 2013.

1. conesgnomes macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm having an issue when I try and connect my 2013 macbook air to my TV via HDMI and the MBA's thunderbolt port. It was happening when I had Mountain Lion, and I just upgraded to Mavericks, and it's still happening. The strange thing is that it works the first time I plug the HDMI cable, no issues, sound and picture are great. Then if my computer goes to sleep, or if I unplug the cable, and then plug it back into the TV without restarting my computer, the computer screen flickers as if it's going to port over the image to the TV, but nothing shows on the TV screen, and the TV screen still says 'no signal.' If I go into my computer's settings, it says 'no devices detected.' I've tried turning my TV on and off, and it doesn't help. If I restart my computer, it works again. It would be nice not to have to restart my computer every time I want to connect to my TV...

Any ideas as to why this could be happening?

Thanks for the help!

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have seen three or four similar threads like this, but nobody ever posted whether they resolved the problem. All I know if that I can use an HDMI cable on my 11" 2013 10.8 air with no problem. It works on my 46" Sony TV and also a cheap little 13" Best Buy TV. The same cable also worked fine on my 2011 13" MBA running 10.7

I got my cable at Best Buy, it was the Rocketfish store brand (the only one they carried). Maybe you could pick one of these up and try it? You could always return for a refund if it doesn't help?

3. conesgnomes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Like you mentioned, I've seen a number of threads around this topic, but haven't found any real solution. I actually am using a Rocketfish HDMI cable and thunderbolt converter. It's just so strange that it works the first time you connect, but not the second...

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Have you ever connected your MBA with a DVI adaptor to another screen? Does it also have this problem? I use mine most of the time with a 23" screen through a DVI adaptor and no problems either.

I don't use it very often with the HDMI screens, so maybe I just haven't had enough experience to see the problem?

5. conesgnomes thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm...I haven't tried any other connection type. I'll bring it with me to work and see if I have the same issues with my VGA screen there. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll let you know what I find out.