No display when turning on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisloz84, Oct 26, 2015.

1. chrisloz84 macrumors newbie

Hi there, very new to this, and I have looked around the web and I have seen this kinda post but not the answer that has helped me so far.

Last night my MacBook Pro mid 2012 decided that it would turn on but would not give me a display, it's just blank screen as if the MacBook was off.
    The fan runs, the caps light comes on when you press it and the chime even sounds on start up. When I close the lid the white light comes on to. The battery indicator on the side even works as well.
    I did buy this MacBook second hand 2yrs 3 months ago. I have had no problems apart from the charger, which I needed to get another. I did buy a third party one and noticed in recent weeks the mag safe connector was getting hotter than usual. I search the net for this and everyone was saying that this is normal when in use. But it has been fine for that 18 months. Better then the apple one that came with the MacBook.
    The MacBook will not charge now either when plugged into a power source.
    I have searched forums and people are saying reset certain things. I've tried resettig the NVRAM as advised by Apple and on forums but no joy.
    I've tried shift + power.etc I cannot boot in safe mode. There is no display at all.
    My MacBook is my pride and joy waited years for one. I'm hoping someone can give me an answer with information I have provided. The model is
    Apple MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.5 13" Mid-2012 4gb ram 500gb HDD

Many thanks

2. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

3. chrisloz84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Many Hank's for your
    Thanks for your response! I will defently try this when I get home!
    Before I left this morning I did try connecting the MB to my tv and it worked (still nothing on MB) I only have 18% battery life left

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Could be a backlight failure. If you shine a light source (eg a torch) on the screen can you see a faint image?

5. chrisloz84 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks I will try this to!

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

My Mid-2012 non-retina MBP has done this to me once, and I've seen it on rMBP's of similar vintage. SMC reset fixed in all cases and it's stuck for a while (mine has been 6 months or so since it did it).

7. chrisloz84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply mate. I've done the smc reset and nothing. I have a display when connected to my TV through hdmi. I have plugged in my mag safe charger and the MBP isn't charging it's just maintaining the 12% I have left.

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Something else I did on my non-retina that seemed to kick it in gear was to boot to diagnostics (hold D during boot). I had done the SMC reset around the same time but as soon as I started into diagnostics the screen came alive and seems to have worked fine since.

9. chrisloz84 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks mate! Strange things are happening... The battery seems to be charging again. (Which I'm guessing a some kind of reset fixed that) so it's just the display now..... i will try your suggestion.