No display...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Architect4122, May 13, 2009.

1. Architect4122 macrumors regular

I can boot up, hear the chime, keyboard lights up, fans come on, everything as if the laptop was fine. However, just a black screen...not a flicker of life...

What gives?

If its the GPU would the rest of the comp run fine?

I remember reading about issues with that years graphics cards (a long time after I bought it...and I do have a 3-year Apple Care).

Its the 8600M GT...

I tried the Command+Option+R+P to see if that was it, and no.

Thanks

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Most likely your graphics bit the bullet. Your nearest Apple Store is where you want to go. Regardless of whether you have AppleCare or not, you should be eligible for a logic board replacement.

3. Architect4122 thread starter macrumors regular

do they replace the logic board or the graphics card? (i'm not very knowledgeable about laptop internal(s) design.

Do they give the graphics card a level jump or do they actually have some of the same ones i have that aren't defective.

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

They'll replace the entire Logic board. The GPU is integrated to the motherboard on all laptops.

Unless you've got AppleCare, it'll cost a fortune to fix.

5. Architect4122 thread starter macrumors regular

I do have Apple Care.

I guess what I'm asking is am I getting the same gpu I have now, or b/c there are issues with that particular gpu, will I be getting a different one?

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You'll be getting the same one, unless it is the PowerBook G4, but otherwise just the same model Logic board.

7. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

I'm really sorry to hear it if you don't have applecare, it does seem that your graphics card is done for. Please let us know what happens though.

8. Architect4122 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll let y'all know. I work near the NYC apple store on 5th so I'll take it down there Friday (call apple care first of course) ....huge deadline at work, so no time for anything till then...

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You don't need to call apple care.

You do need to make appointment with the store's genius bar: apple.com/retail

10. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Even if he didn't have AppleCare, which he does, it would still be covered if its NVIDIA Graphics Failure. I just had my 17 MacBook Pro Mid 2007's logic board replaced due to graphics failure for free, and it has been out of warranty for nearly a year.

11. Architect4122 thread starter macrumors regular

It was indeed the gpu. getting new board.

took it in, took photos before...good thing.

the guy behind the bar was pretty quick/rough when handling, opening the screen, shutting it, putting it on the lid to take out the battery, and taking out, replacing the battery....really? show a little more care.

no apparent damage from what i could see, but i complained when i received the survey about the visit...hopefully there is a follow up survey.

and...its taking a while to fix.

i just want my comp back!