No dock? Made my own

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by silverpilate, Sep 29, 2012.

1. silverpilate macrumors newbie

Tired of waiting for a dock for my new phone, I decided I would try to make my own. I had a block of really nicely figured desert ironwood laying around that was too small for knife scales or gun grips, so away we went. Turned out ok. I don't have a mill, so the slot in the top is all drilled and filed, and there are some imperfections to be sure. But it works! I just used my lightning cable through a drilled slot. The bottom has a leather pad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

--NB

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

3. bbydon macrumors 6502a

4. Johnnyiphone5 macrumors member

5. Jane333 macrumors regular

6. silverpilate thread starter macrumors newbie

Only took me about 1.5 hours all together. I cut it to shape and them laid out the slot including the thickness for my case. Some drilling and filing later, I rounded the top and hand sanded up to 1000 grit. The factory lightening cable was hot glued into the slot and the leather bottom holds the wire flush out the back.

Sorry, this one is a one-off. :). Thanks for the compliments.

--NB

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

8. CatsTide macrumors 6502

9. PerPlekz macrumors member

10. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

11. silverpilate thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry everyone, I'm not going to make any to sell. For one, I'm a stickler for finish if I'm selling something, and I don't have the equipment to make the slot as nice as I would want. Also, my stash of desert ironwood is pretty small, and good stuff is near impossible to come by. The block of wood itself cost me $40 a few years ago, and it's higher now since you can no longer import it from Mexico or overseas. It just worked out that this was an off-size and worm-eaten piece that was too small for other uses.

Glad everyone likes it, though. :D

--NB