No dock, so how to charge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WannaApple?, Jun 12, 2008.

1. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Im an Apple virgin and the 3G iphone will be my first. :p I saw that there is no dock that will come with the 3G phone. Does this mean I will have to purchase a separate piece of equipment to be able to charge the phone, or does it come with some other sort of charging adapter? If it does come with some sort of plug, or charger, what would be the purpose of a dock..and would I still need one?

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

It comes with a USB adapter that you can plug into your computer to charge the phone, or it also comes with a standard power plug that can be attached to the USB adapter and plugged into a wall outlet.

3. cornerdealy macrumors regular

of course it comes with a cable that you can plug into your computer's usb port to sync and i also believe it comes with an adapter to plug it into the wall.

the point of the dock...well, technically it's pointless. Just an expensive piece of plastic to make your iphone stand upright next to your mac that us mac fanboys (and girls) just eat right up.

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

It comes with a USB charging cable a la the iPod. And a wall charger (like the old iPods).

The dock is there just for prettiness, I suppose. If you don't want your iPhone to lie on the table, and want it to stand up all nice in a dock, then you get the dock. You don't need it, and if it's $49 (rumored price) I sure wouldn't buy it.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

The dock plugs into the end of the included USB cable and gives you the convenience of having a tray you can simply set your iPhone in to charge.

Without the dock, you'll spend an extra 2 seconds plugging the included USB cable into/out of your iPhone (instead of simply setting the phone into the dock).

It's just a convenience piece, IMO.

6. WannaApple? thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, thanks all...just trying to figure out costs and finances and wanted to make sure I wasnt going to be required to spend an additional $50 just to be able to charge it! :D

7. friarbayliff macrumors regular

The dock is pretty useless. It's nice to look at, but I just ended up knocking it over a bunch of times before giving up and going with just the cable.