No Dolby Digital with latest Apple TV update?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nilnova, Mar 20, 2014.

1. nilnova macrumors member

nilnova

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Netflix really needs to update the Apple TV app already. It is missing so much other equipment have.

3. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

It's back and forth. On one end I wish it would play the next episode automatically for TV shows, but on the other end I like that the AppleTV version gives the "Titles that are similar to this" at the bottom. I haven't seen that on the couple of other platforms I have used and it has been really useful to our family.

4. cynics macrumors G3

I'm using optical out and DD works fine for me on the latest update. Watching netflix right now.

5. Kfalken macrumors newbie

My issue is basically the same but everything works great with digital opt. I will AirPlay a news channel or listen to some music with no problem. Come back a couple days later and I have no audio for movies, trailers or music. I Chk all settings and all is correct. I have found if I unplug my ATV and plug back in everything works great. Can't figure this one out. Any one else having this issue?

6. niteflyr, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

niteflyr macrumors 6502a

No DD on Netflix here either. Everything else in DD.

ATV3, latest update, optical out. Southern California.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Netflix is aware (at least customer support) of the problem.

[​IMG]

8. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

So they are aware of this issue good because I was watching anime and it says it can stream in Dolby Digital 5.1 but all I was getting stereo and never had this issue. Another problem Netflix should worry are subtitles they are lagging in most foreign movies reported them so many times and chatted them about it been over 4 months seems like they do not care.

9. cynics macrumors G3

No Dolby Digital with latest Apple TV update?

Subs in anime for netflix are horrendous! Try watching Kite. They literally sub every other sentence. Stick with hulu and crunchyroll for your anime fix. :)

----------

It would help diagnose the problem if you guys list the version of ATV, where you are (US east coast etc) and whether you are using hdmi or optical. May at least find a common denominator.

Like I mentioned I have zero issue . ATV3 6.1, optical out, USA East coast.

10. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

Bro the version of Kite they are streaming sucks it is censored HARDCORE and yes it is a HARDCORE adult anime and that is the point of it if they are afraid of kids seeing animated sex than it is the lazy parents fault not knowing the difference between Anime and Disney.

I am using HDMI I am in the U.S. West Coast.

11. cynics macrumors G3

I still sucked it up and watched it so I could watch Kite Liberator on Hulu and have a vague idea of the plot. Lol.

That was a while ago both maybe on hulu or CR now.

12. Infocalypse1 macrumors newbie

More input

I also have no DD on ATV3. Decided to do a bit more diagnostic testing. Findings are;

1. IPad running IOS 6.x no DD when trying to run via AirPlay. No AirPlay option shows in the Netflix app. The only way to get it to run was by mirroring. Only got stereo.

2. Tried two iPhones running 7.0x and 7.1. Both had an airplay option in the app, and both ran DD as audio. I used the same movie on all tests.

3. All other apps that I tested ( mostly DLNA clients and iTunes videos) had Airplay option working just fine on all devices, and got DD soundtrack for the test files. As others reported, other ATV apps also had no issues with DD

This a might narrow the issues down to two problems, incompatibilities between ios versions handling of AirPlay, and the current Netflix app on the ATV.

13. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I should have known better to not update--but I did--and just like everyone else, I no longer have DD 5.1 output from Netflix. Nothing we can do other than keep at Netflix and Apple to fix it. I did a chat with Netflix and also found this Apple forum thread--and I used the Apple feedback form to submit a bug report. Just have to keep them motivated to fix this.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6012766?start=0&tstart=0

14. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

I was puzzling over this yesterday - my answer was to use an iPad running iOS 7.0.6 and the latest Netflix to AirPlay the content, which magically brought DD5.1 back. I guess it's just a case of holding out until the next ATV update to get native 5.1 back.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I see the Netflix iOS Apps are getting an update today. Any chance the ATV App is updated and now doing 5.1?

16. sandmanfvr macrumors member

I had my apple tv for 4 days now, it had 6.1 already on it and on home sharing movies from iTunes, no issues. I didn't' even change the settings, all is auto and my iTunes movies are full Dolby out to optical. I may be lucky but I don't run netflix etc, I use amazon prime on consoles.

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Netflix specific problem only.

18. sandmanfvr, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014

sandmanfvr macrumors member

No its not: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6012766?tstart=0

I researched issues before I bought and if I had issues with this I would use the thread on here to downgrade to 5.3. The 6.1 update so far causes stuttering for some, and dolby issue on netflix and/or other media.

19. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Hmm--you may be reading too much into that thread. If you look at all the posts over those 10 pages, the only consistent issue is the loss of DD 5.1 with the Netflix app. Some people may have other issues but the only universal issue that developed with the release of 6.1 is with Netflix. So we patiently wait for someone to fix it. :( At least I have my Sony Blu Ray for watching Netflix.

20. sandmanfvr macrumors member

I'm not reading into it, first post the guys says:

"I was running the above firmware on my main appletv, and noticed that Dolby Digital (DD) over spdif had stopped working, both in netflix and when streaming from itunes on my computer."

I use streaming from iTunes on home sharing and I don't see this but he says he has it in home sharing AND netflix. So the bug is random its seems. Why I was afraid it would crop up on home sharing, so far it hasn't.

21. Julien, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just tried and the Netflix App is still not updated to add back 5.1 audio. Does anyone know if the ATV Netflix App can be updated (like an iOS App) or does it require complete ATV update from 7.1 to 7.2 or 7.1.1 (or even a build update)?

5.1 works fine using AirPlay of Netflix from my iPad so it's definitely the App (as Netflix has said).

----------

Netflix 5.1 audio missing is not a random bug and effects all ATV (7.1) users (at least HDMI). It is a problem with the App and 7.1 compatibility.

22. sandmanfvr macrumors member

I meant to say non netflix dd over optical is random as that post the guy has it, and I and others don't. Yeah I see netflix is just broken overall with dd over optical.