No dong?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by krye, Mar 18, 2008.

1. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I have a 1st generation MacBook. All is well. Since I upgraded to Leopard I have noticed however, that it takes waaaay longer to boot up. Also, half the time (at least) it boots up fine, but I don't get a "dong" sound. I'm not too concerned since everything runs fine. But is this normal? I thought I was supposed to get the "dong" sound overtime I booted up.

2. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

3. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Turn you volume up before you shut down????

and nice thread title.:rolleyes:

4. rogair macrumors member

Check your volume as everyone has suggested so far. Otherwise, reset your PRAM.

5. BerryJuice macrumors newbie

It def is the volume as the same thing happens on my 1st gen macbook with tiger when the volume is down or muted.

6. krye thread starter macrumors 68000

krye

That's weird because I always have the volume up. I'll reset the PRAM and see what happens.

7. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

When I restarted my macbook a few hours ago I didn't get the dong/chimes. Dont know if booting and rebooting makes a difference.

8. krye thread starter macrumors 68000

krye

This is a hard boot and not a reboot. Like last night. I got home from work and turned the machine on. It did its normal boot up sequence, but no "dong" sound.

9. krye thread starter macrumors 68000

krye

I reset my PRAM when I got home. I get the dong sound again. I guess all is good.

Thanks

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

For future (non-phallic) reference, that sound is the report of a successful POST, or Power On Self Test. Assuming sound volume (or speaker defect) is not an issue, always be wary when there's no POST.

11. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

i remember a couple of weeks ago a bunch of threads were posted, people were wondering if they could shut off the dong and i find it ironic that you don;t have the dong and you want it back, where as other people would love to get ride of there dong. wow that entire paragraph sounds bad, i just find this thread funny.

oh and how do you reset your PRAM?

12. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Yes this is Dong gone Funny! :rolleyes:

13. krye thread starter macrumors 68000

krye

On power up hold down OPTION, COMMAND, P and R all at the same time. You'll get the grey screen for a second or two and then it will reboot again. You'll get the dong sound and then you can let go.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

14. NIPRING macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, but i havent even read one post in this thread, but everytime i see that title...:D it cracks me up

15. krye thread starter macrumors 68000

krye

I'm glad you liked it. You should read the one I posted about the Mighty Mouse scroll ball sticking, and how you should keep your balls clean, and clean your hands before touching your balls...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=455809

16. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

That was me! Here's a linky

The app works a treat, it doesn't matter if I forget and leave the volume up my DONG (or POST if I have to be technically specific) is always at a low volume.