No double-tapping Home for the volume slider in 3.1.1?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Objectivist-C, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Since upgrading my first-gen iPod touch to 3.1.1, I've noticed that double-tapping Home takes me back to my home screen instead of bringing up the volume slider (and iPod controls). I see there are options in Settings>General for configuring this behaviour, but none of them are equivalent to the original set-up. Has anyone found a way to restore it? It's pretty annoying to not be able to adjust the volume without quitting an application.

2. aendaman macrumors member

aendaman

Same thing here. Pretty ****** for my liking... Before I was able to change volume or go to the next song even when inside an App. No more...
    And whats the use of going to the iPod App directly anyway? I can just tap the iPod icon for that.
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    I sent a complaint to Apple already (iPod Touch feedback).

3. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

It's there you have to have earbuds plugged in on your ipod for the volume contro to show up,it dissapears when you ear buds are plugged in.

4. Objectivist-C thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, it only shows when the screen is locked, not in an application.

5. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Settings -> General -> Home ->

Double Click the home button for -> iPod
    iPod Controls -> On

It will bring up the slider as long as music is playing.

6. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

That's the point though! It was useful when it wasn't playing music. You could launch an app and then double tap the home button if you wanted to crank the sound up in that app or listen to your own music! Why the F_ck did they take this away!

Ams.

7. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Oh I was just providing the information he wanted lol, I agree with you completely. The fact that I can't bring up the slider when music is paused really disappoints me.

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I guess they made it like the iPhone, such a shame, the original way was far superior.

9. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Sorry, maybe I sounded a bit agressive there! Haha

Oh, and I have sent feedback to Apple.

Ams.

10. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

I have a feeling Apple have forgotten that some of us don't have dedicated volume control buttons...
    Forgotten, or, don't give a damn any more!

11. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

12. jrdnkasparek macrumors newbie

mine works sometimes but only if i try over and over

that was an awsome feature why try to take it out.

13. aendaman macrumors member

aendaman

Its only working when the music is already playing. Before it could be used to start the music even when inside an app. Some apps are stopping iPod playback because they play an intro video with sound, others for no obvious reason (Galaxy on Fire is the most moronic ive seen so far: it starts by asking you if you want sounds on or off. And this question stopps your iPod. wtf?). Then, the old way, you could just turn music back on afterwards... no more.

:mad::mad::mad:

14. frankiepdx macrumors regular

frankiepdx

Mine seems to only work if music is playing while headphones are plugged in. 1st gen 16GB.

15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It sucks that they had to go and make it just like the iPhone now… Hopefully someone from the jailbreak community can find a plist edit to re-enable the old way.

16. ccbr01 macrumors newbie

Saw this thread and thought of the same thing. Before, it was so awesome just to double tap to turn music on and control tracks in apps. Now, Apple has made the double tap like an iphone. Can we just have the old way and not the iphone way... :(

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I noticed the same issue last night. I think I'll call Apple support later and stir up trouble :p

18. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Well, something you can do is go into Settings/General/Home and set the double-click behavoir to iPod. Then, when you're not playing music, rather than bringing up the music controls like before, you're taken directly into your iPod music controls. I think giving us that option may be why they took away the option to bring up the music controls through a double-click with no music playing.

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Selecting "iPod" only seems to make it switch to the Music app. It'll still drop out of the app that's currently running.

Side note: Why is it called "iPod"? The whole device is an iPod, and saying "press here for iPod" doesn't make much sense.

20. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

That's true... so if staying in the current app is what you're after, I don't think you can interact with your music and do that with the current OS. But don't forget you can get to the music controls while your screen is locked.

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have a ticket in with Apple Engineering about this issue. I can't give progress reports as they're under NDA, but rest assured that Apple is aware of the problem.

22. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

OK, here's a FYI: I have access to a 1G with 3.0 on it and when you have the iPod Controls switched on you always get the volume slider when you double-click the home button. In other words it ignores what you have set under "Double-click the Home Button for:" and just brings up the music controls. In order for it to go to Home or Search with a double-click you have to switch the iPod controls off. As far as I can tell, even if you switch the iPod Controls off the the setting for iPod doesn't work.

I think the way it works now under 3.1.1 makes more sense.