no drivers b/c lost disk

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BlackBlade, Jun 28, 2011.

1. BlackBlade macrumors member

so i lost my osx disk
    i installed xp on my windows partition and got it working but i told it to start-up on windows...again i dont have the osx disk so i have no drivers for xp therefore i cannot change the boot order

help?
    how do i get the drivers w/o the disk?
    i have tried the bootcamp update 2.1 and not thats not the answer

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The only legitimate way to get the drivers is on an OS X disc. Call Apple to replace yours or purchase a $29 copy of Snow Leopard.

That said, if you're adventurous, you could try getting them from Apple following the instructions posted here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12105399&postcount=12 , though your particular Mac might not be supported.

B

3. aeneid macrumors member

By boot order do you mean OS? Because if that's the case just hold down I believe to be the option key and select the Mac OS. once that boots up, just go into preferences and start up disk and select Mac OS X or w/e you're running. That should do it. If it's something else then please elaborate. Unfortunately balamw is right, you might have to get a new cd. It's only 29$ and you can use it again and again. Just don't lose it 2x. Or ask a friend who has mac to let you use a cd. But be careful because cd's that come with another mac are made for that mac version only, and it's very specific. My info fails me here, and I forget where you can read it. maybe someone else can elaborate more on the issues of borrowing a cd.

Cheers

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I believe what the OP is missing is the Boot Camp Control Panel, which allows you to select the default boot/startup disk. Of course under Mac OS X this can be done from System Preferences.

B

5. robert83 macrumors newbie

You should have kept your OSX disc properly, as It is highly essential when problems like this crop up.