No dual-CPU boards from Intel for the PC market...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VirtualRain, Mar 12, 2009.

1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Interesting perspective from the PC side of the world... (unlike last generation where Intel launched the "Skulltrail" system based on the Penryn CPU's).

Source

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Skulltrail was only good for a few things, overclocking and the SLI/crossfire support for DP platform and it appears other board makers will be doing that this time around.

3. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

Yeah, we already have confirmation from other board makers that they'll be putting out DP boards. It is a little surpising that Intel won't be following up Skulltrail themselves. It was a pretty cool board, and an even cooler name.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

5. m1stake macrumors 68000

PCI-e slots need to be A) grouped in twos and B) grouped in threes.

6. Outsider macrumors regular

Outsider

No PCI Express x16 slots? :( This looks to be a server motherboard. I saw that MSI was coming out with one better suited for workstations.

7. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

8. Outsider macrumors regular

Outsider

I looks like Apple has the best dual Nehalem system on the market for the near future. It has 2 real x16 slots and 2 x4 slots. I'd expect Tyan to be the first to offer up something rivaling the Mac pro's board, but expect a huge price tag from them.

Or this SuperMicro one.

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Apple aren't even close to providing the best system. It's not terrible, but there are boards with two IOHs (48, 60 or 72 PCI-E 2.0 lanes) and 18 DIMM slots out there already, not to mention onboard SAS and SATA in much higher numbers than 4.

10. Outsider macrumors regular

Outsider

Are they out yet? Or soon to be released?

11. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Nothing is out yet but you can preorder for the usual $500-$600 price such boards launch at althoug details are scarce. Intel have things really locked up on this launch. Board manufacturers have been ready for months, so there should be a lot of products available by March 30th.

12. Dzokayi macrumors member

Umbongo, got any links to said boards? And how well do they figure into the Hackintosh scenario?

Thanks

13. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

SkullTrail were an enthusiast board.

There will, of course, be workstation and server-grade reference motherboards from Intel and 3rd parties.

14. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=660891 This thread has some links and bits. We won't really know how the DP boards feature in the Hackintosh scenario until people start trying.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

Information's been sparse so far. Board makers have the gear ready, but haven't released any information on thier sites yet. :( What little has, is either off of a few articles, or from e-tailers that have SKU numbers. (Pics not matching the descriptions either).

I do think we'll see what we're looking for, generally speaking, but need to be patient for a couple of weeks yet. ;) :p
    Without detailed information though, I certainly wouldn't be brave enough to do so. ;)

Perhaps we can lure another member to be a guinea pig... err .... Early Adoption Tester? :p
    Somehow, this feels like and Ad... :D :p

Unfortunately, the lack of information has almost completely stalled the thread. :rolleyes: I was hoping board samples would have been released for testing by now, at least whatever models are aimed at enthusiasts. :eek: ;)

Obviously, not the case. :(

GRR... I'm not sure I can remain patient any longer! :p