No DVD drive 2007 MBP bootcamp help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by CrimsonStrider, Nov 15, 2012.

1. CrimsonStrider macrumors newbie

I swapped my HDD with a SSD. I managed to get my OSX stuff over without a problem.

Are there any free/easy ways to get my old bootcamp partition (Win7) over to my SSD now that my HDD has been removed? I have a SATA to USB2.0 cable and my bootcamp partition will pop up, but I can't boot from it.

My DVD drive won't read the XP disc I slipstreamed back in 2007 when my drive was working. I'm going to try burning it to a new disc but I really doubt that will work.

If possible I would rather not put my old HDD back into my laptop.

I almost don't mind installing everything again. If possible I would rather boot XP using a USB drive but the internet in China is not being very helpful (links always breaking) and actually every time I think about those two words together I want to break something.

2. CrimsonStrider thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok well I ended up buying Winclone and it was much easier that way, though not free =(.

But it seems like Win7 still loads up at the same speed it did with my HDD.

The biggest wait time is a long lag on a black screen with a flashing cursor before going to another black screen and then loading up (which itself is fast).

Same thing for OS X actually. It hangs on a gray screen for a while before going to another gray screen to load Mountain Lion...