Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eezing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
At work I have a late 2007 Mac mini. I go to burn a dvd and... oh wait, no DVD writing capabilities. Seriously, is that a joke?

Intel core 2 Duo, Bluetooth, Wifi, Dvi out, remote control, and... CD-RW/DVD read only combo drive. Wow, that's a miss-match if I've ever seen one.

Way to drop the ball on that one Apple.

eezing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
It was advertised as having a combo drive, so I don't see what the shock about it is.

I didn't buy it. Regardless, no computer, even at that time should have been shipped without a DVD-RW. Standard stuff.:)

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
My Mac Mini also doesn't have a DVD-RW drive, but because content is only going from physical to digital, it isn't a problem.
DVD-RW drives really only became standard on low end computers very recently. Some low end computers still don't offer it as an option and can only read DVDs.

t22design

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
My Mac Mini also doesn't have a DVD-RW drive, but because content is only going from physical to digital, it isn't a problem.
DVD-RW drives really only became standard on low end computers very recently. Some low end computers still don't offer it as an option and can only read DVDs.

Really?

The Combo drive should of been retired way before it was. I hate the combo drive.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
When I read the thread title, I thought it was Master Yoda posting.

Then I read the first post and I quickly realized it wasn't Yoda. But O.P you dropped the ball, not Apple - you should have checked if the drive was a combo drive or super drive. :rolleyes:

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
At work I have a late 2007 Mac mini. I go to burn a dvd and... oh wait, no DVD writing capabilities. Seriously, is that a joke?

Intel core 2 Duo, Bluetooth, Wifi, Dvi out, remote control, and... CD-RW/DVD read only combo drive. Wow, that's a miss-match if I've ever seen one.

Way to drop the ball on that one Apple.

Yes it was a joke, but why complain about it now? It's a two year old machine.

Also apparently you haven't used the feature in the past two years either since you seem to just have found out about it now...

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
It was a low-end computer. *Shock* something low end doesn't have all the features of a high end machine?!!?!?!? :eek:

trendkiller

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2008
I'm confused?! you bought a computer, knowing what features it had and now your complaining that it doesn't have a certain feature?!

I'm pretty annoyed that my iphone doesn't have an espresso machine...way to go apple!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.