Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
Hey all, just wondered if this is the same for everyone else, just went to sell something on ebay for the first time since making the switch and i noticed there is no tools for you item description, you cant change the size, colour, font, or even put in paragraphs!?!?! is this because its a Mac or because of the safari browser?

Thanks in advamce

wattso

L

Lau

I'm afraid it has to be done with html, which is a bit cumbersome, I'll admit. There's a page here that lists them all. There might be a program out there that helps you with it though, hopefully someone can suggest something.

So when you list something on eBay on a PB, does it have buttons on it that you can click for bold etc? I've only ever done it on a Mac.

Edit: I use Camino, and last time I listed something there were no tools either.

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2006
Yea. Try FireFox.

For some reason Safari doesn't work with several things.. which really is a damn shame, since otherwise I really like Safari.

There are a few online editors, and the new eBay listing editor that just don't work in Safari.. which is why I use FireFox exclusively now.

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
lau: Hi, yes it does, its very good, you have all the usual tools of a word processor. I just find it very poor that you cant even put in a paragraph on a Mac!!!
are you saying that you definatly do have these tools with firefox?

L

Lau

I can't believe that! I always thought it seemed a bit of a faff, and I know html! That'll be how everyone else does it then. :p

One useful thing I find if you're doing a lot of listings is to get it looking right and then copy and paste it into text edit, and then you can use the same html for the subsequent listings by just replacing the text in your copy.

Or, of course, you could just use Firefox, as I will too next time. :rolleyes: :p

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
SmurfBoxMasta: Im nnot really that technically adept...... so errr, do you think i could us these programs, also are you able to provide a link ?

I think it should be in safari, because it's a brilliant browser, i feel slightly let down :( . is there a way you can tell apple you want something, so they can implement them in a update?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I think it should be in safari, because it's a brilliant browser, i feel slightly let down :( . is there a way you can tell apple you want something, so they can implement them in a update?
The missing stuff for text formatting is mostly working now in the nightly WebKit builds. They should have it in decent shape by the time Leopard ships.

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
The missing stuff for text formatting is mostly working now in the nightly WebKit builds. They should have it in decent shape by the time Leopard ships.

Ok, hang on im a little confused, is this 'webkit' a shareware to use ?? and are you saying that you should be able to use the ebay tools in safari by the time leopard is released?

I'm really sorry you've just completly lost me :p

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Ok, hang on im a little confused, is this 'webkit' a shareware to use ??
Freeware, in fact! This stuff lets you use the in-progress engine with your existing Safari, so you can see how things are progressing. (It won't mess up your regular Safari experience, you can simply launch the normal Safari icon and this development stuff won't be used).
and are you saying that you should be able to use the ebay tools in safari by the time leopard is released?
I would expect so. The new Yahoo mail editor is partially working in the nightlies if you force the user agent, and the formatted editor in Blogger is pretty much good to go without any fiddling.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
SmurfBoxMasta: Im nnot really that technically adept...... so errr, do you think i could us these programs, also are you able to provide a link ?

Well, thats why I suggested the listing apps, they do ALL the HTML work for you. All you have to do is copy & paste it into the description box and whalah..... and you can preview it in a browser window to see how it looks before you post it !

here is one I used recently:

http://www.cycline3.com/calc/next-calc.html

but if you search versiontracker, there are many others too :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.