No eligibility - still buy for $200 dollars?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mymacrumorse, Jul 2, 2008.

1. mymacrumorse macrumors member

Hey guys,

Am an existing at&t customer (for the past 12 months) and I do not have eligibility to buy the new iphone 3G for the discounted price. its going to be 400$ (8GB) for me

But this is what I have planned to do...

Right now am in a family plan with my frd
    Plan goes on like this
    700 mins for 70$ for 2 lines

now i get a new line with iphone 3G for additional 10$ to my family plan and buy the iphone @ 200$. Obviously the 30$ data plan added.

I don't want to terminate the old line paying early termination (175$) cos even if i keep it for the next one year without using i'll just be paying 10$ * 12 = 120$ < 175$ (early termination)/200$ (ineligible)

anyways am planning to give my old line to my frd so that should be fine i guz..

So is there any problem with this setup?:confused: The only catch is i'll have to change my number... Also anyone any idea if I can put my old line to vacation mode and pay lesser price on that??

You suggestions are going to be valuable to me.

2. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

it might be easier to borrow an iphone, activate it before the 11th and then you should be qualified for the discount.

3. iP2 macrumors member

This is very similar to what I plan to do. Except I intend to keep the 3rd line (the new one that will get me qualified for the 3G iPhone) and give it to my daughter. However, I plan to swap my number to the iPhone and my old phone gets the new number which my daugther will use.

According to the Rep I spoke to, the plan will work. But I'm still unsure how the phone number swap will occur...do I need a new SIM card?

Then there's the whole other story of trying to get a FAN discount applied...but that's in another post! :)