no email distribution lists??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sir42, Jun 26, 2007.

1. sir42 macrumors 6502

Did anyone catch this from Walt Mossberg's review:

Contacts can be gathered into groups, but the groups can’t be used as email distribution lists.

I know we all have our quibbles and deal breakers but this is actually a big deal for me. For work I have to go off site every night and email a quick status report to about 40 people back at the office. If I can't do that on the iPhone I'll be sadly stuck with my Treo.

Even on my Treo, distribution lists are a bit a clumsy, but I was sure that my Address Book distribution lists would make this a cinch on the iPhone.

I know not everyone is in precisely my boat, but will this affect anyone else?

2. Dermot81 macrumors member

I think you should first check to see if your work email is even compatible with the iPhone.

Also, if you can accomplish this task by using an outside email, then couldn't you still create distribution lists and the like through the gmail web client?

3. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well if there's a resend feature as there is in Apple's Mail program I can probably use that. I would just have to enter in the names manually the first time and then use resend to edit the email and send again each night.

I just hope it can support an email to 40 people. It's only a few lines of text, but it's going to be hard to test that in an Apple store!

4. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Maybe someone will be kind enough to do it for you as at test.

Why dont you add your question to the list stickied at top of questions you would like answered.

5. spydr macrumors 6502

spydr

How did apple leave out this feature? Makes no sense, if you can group the contacts and not send email to that group...:confused:

6. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't suppose anyone has figured out a workaround for this yet? I love my iphone, but given my dependence on email distribution lists it has turned into something of a bummer.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

the easiest way would be to get a distribution list setup on your server at work then you could just email that. Apart from that I think you're stuck

8. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I didn't even know contacts could be grouped. Is this something done on the computer side and synced over, or can it be done directly on the phone?