No entry sign stops boot after updating Yosemite - help please?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by whitedragon101, Feb 11, 2015.

1. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

I have just updated yosemite and I get a no entry sign on boot and thats it, it won't start up. I do have a third party hard drive and trim enabled so I tried this.

http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

But it still won't boot.

(When i performed the last command
    kextcache -u "/Volumes/Your Disk name"
    it went to the next line immediately, no delay, not sure if it ran properly)

If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

ps

If I just do a reinstall OS X from the CMD+R recovery will it keep all my installed apps from OSX and leave my windows bootcamp alone?

2. KALLT macrumors 601

Have you tried again? Did the previous steps not work?
    Perhaps you could contact the developer if nothing else works: http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=153120

It should. Do you have a (Time Machine) backup ready, just in case?

3. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No errors occur when typing in the commands. The only thing thats a little suspicious is there is no 5-10 min wait after the last command. But no error either.

I do have a time machine backup.

4. KALLT macrumors 601

I’m not sure whether a reinstall will fix the issue, so I can’t give any advice. Normally a reinstall should leave the personal files untouched and only reinstall/repair the system files. I suspect that the kext files (system files) will be restored as well. It’s up to you whether you want to give it a try or not, if the solution on that website doesn’t work.

5. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I restored from a time machine backup and things seem to be working although quite a few apps are missing. But only some apps.