Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
In Disk Utility, when I try and restore an image to a USB drive (or even harddrive for that matter) there's no checkbox for 'Erase Destination.' Every guide online indicates there should be a checkbox, but I don't have one.

Edit: Here's an image of what it should look like (not my image). Notice the checkbox? I don't have that on my Disk Utility.

Attachments

• sl-disk-utility-restore.jpg
    sl-disk-utility-restore.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,196

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
In Disk Utility, when I try and restore an image to a USB drive (or even harddrive for that matter) there's no checkbox for 'Erase Destination.' Every guide online indicates there should be a checkbox, but I don't have one.

Edit: Here's an image of what it should look like (not my image). Notice the checkbox? I don't have that on my Disk Utility.

In the image you posted shows the original to be the CD and the restore to be the jump drive/hard drive.

Are you trying to do the same but in reverse? Restoring onto a DVD/CD? If so that might be why you are not getting the Erase Destination option.

Hugh

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
In the image you posted shows the original to be the CD and the restore to be the jump drive/hard drive.

Are you trying to do the same but in reverse? Restoring onto a DVD/CD? If so that might be why you are not getting the Erase Destination option.

Hugh

No, that image was not mine. I'm trying to restore a .dmg image from my harddrive to a USB stick.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
No, that image was not mine. I'm trying to restore a .dmg image from my harddrive to a USB stick.

Hmmm. Make sure you are using GUID partitioning scheme on your USB drive, this could be a problem if it's not using GUID. Other then that I'm just shooting in the dark.

Hugh

ejoso

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
No 'Erase Destination' checkbox in Disk Utility

I think that this is an issue with Lion's updated Disk Utility - it's version 12 (346) on my machine. This is just a suspicion, but I think that functionality goes away after upgrading

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.