No "Erase & Install" in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brijazz, Aug 27, 2009.

1. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

From what I've read, there is no "Erase & Install" when prepping for installation from the Snow Leopard upgrade disc. Can anyone verify this? If this is true, what would be the best (and only?) way to do a clean install.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I heard it's hidden in SL disk's Disk Utility. People complained because they didn't know it's gonna wipe their HD :rolleyes:

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

There has been a lot of talk on this subject already. While many reports have said there isn't an erase and install, new reviews have proved otherwise. Check out the article on the front page of MacRumors -- Walt Mossberg's review says that not only do you have the option of the "erase and install", but you also can upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard, completely bypassing Leopard.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

5. reubs macrumors 68000

I have a question around this issue. For folks who are going the "erase and install" route, how are you getting your data back? Manually restoring files from back-ups or using Migration assistant and Time Machine?

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Manually restoring files. Using Migration Assistant or Time Machine will just put all the stuff I don't want back to where it was. I want to do it from scratch, as I haven't cleaned up my machine in a long time.

7. AceMason macrumors regular

I'm also going to 'Erase and Install' and going to use TM to restore my iTunes library. Hmm, so all my emails in Mail.app are probably going to be deleted right? Is there any way I can restore them with Time Machine?

8. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

wouldn't one have to do an erase and install with the leopard disk and then upgrade to snow leopard for a clean install?

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

No, not necessarily, on Leopard upgrades, it was possible to just (during the Leopard installation), pop in the Tiger disc that came with your machine (or a retail copy of Tiger) and it would verify that it was the correct version, then proceed to install.

10. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

I'm also doing an E&I. Just one question though, how do I ensure that all my playcounts and playlists etc. in iTunes will be back in SL. In other words which files do I need to transfer over?

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Bring over the entire iTunes folder from your Music folder...

12. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

So if this is the case, Snow Leopard should be able to restore an a iMac C2D that isn't booting and responding to its restore disk right?

13. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

No. You've most likely got a failing HD (happened to me) or some other problem (much less likely). SL won't cure that.

14. master.cob macrumors newbie

I'll be manually adding back files. I've been stuck between 10-12 gigs of free space on my macbook pro for the past year (every time I go through my itunes and other folders to cut things to the external, I say, "hrm, nope, I might need that file tomorrow!" over and over, and so I make little progress). I'm looking forward to a clean system where I can just add back the things I am using as I use them.

However, one reason why I CAN'T use Time Machine at the moment is because when I bought my external a few years ago, I formatted it as fat32. But the Mac back-up software only uses hfs+. So I can't take advantage of TM until I temporary transfer all my stuff off my external so that I can reformat it. Dumb move on my part.

Or follow this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA47831
    (for playlists). Also try looking for applescript to suit your needs: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/

15. reubs macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'm happy with my iTunes library. I'm thinking about all of the apps that I've installed and uninstalled. I guess I'll make back-ups of all of them and slowly add them back as I need them.

Thanks for the info!

16. bethri macrumors newbie

Smartest way from A to B

Assuming all adequate precautions, clones, backups, etc. and acknowledging that (with enough time and patience) the "best" way to upgrade from 10.5 to 10.6 would be a clean install, fresh user account (with same name, etc.), fresh install of all apps, and selective copying over of data from the clone, my question is, is there a net difference between:

a) Running the standard 10.6 "upgrade" Install in place
    b) Erase & Install followed by Time Machine restore or Migration from a clone of 10.5
    c) Any other combination, i.e. E&I followed by Migration of only User and Documents + fresh Application installs, etc.

In short, what's the sanest way from 10.5 to 10.6 with all Users, Applications and settings intact?

17. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

18. sziehr macrumors 6502a

I just did a clean install. I had to use the disk ultility on the disk to wipe the disk then install went to complete in less than 30 min. Then i wanted to time machine my stuff back. It worked great. I am now on 10.6 fully clean and flying fast. I am kinda ticked they took the easy option out of the setup dialog box.