No "Ethernet" option when selecting internet sharing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wordforge, Jul 3, 2009.

1. wordforge macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've got a MacBook and i'm trying to share my verizon wireless internet card with my xbox 360 and I keep trying to set it up to run with an ethernet connection but no luck so far.

I go into system preferences and select the internet sharing options and I cant get any option other than "airport"

Any advice would be helpful,
    thanks in advance,
    Wordforge.

Edit: I may have found out how to fix it though. check towards the bottom of the page and check the link i posted. It may work I just don't know how to do it.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I think internet sharing can only be done via the wi-fi (airport), not ethernet.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

How's your Verizon card connected?

I have the option of Share From--> Airport/Ethernet/Bluetooth, to Ethernet.

I've used it before too, to link my Airport connection to my buddies Ethernet connection when he couldn't get his WiFi working.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

To add to what NewMacBookPlz said, you want to select the how your Verizon card is connected to your computer (Share your connection from) and then below it there should be 'To Computers using' and select Ethernet.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'd assume the Verizon card is USB connected. I'm not sure if the Sharing allows you to bridge USB to Ethernet, that would be the problem I guess.

6. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

on my hackintosh server i have dual ethernet cards, one talks to the university network, and the other shares to my private network. Internet comes from university and get shared on my own network.

Thats a little different than what you are doing but it shows that OSX would share to ethernet. I wish i could password the net though

7. wordforge thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah the Internet is connected to the notebook via USB. I was thinking that I could hook up my wireless router to my notebook and connect it to the Xbox that way, but i'm not sure if that will work either since I can't even get the option to share over ethernet.

I'm probably gonna try again tonight with some new Cat6 cables. Wish me luck.

I'm just saying that there's gotta be a way though, It was really simple with my old PC tower that was running XP. And there's no way I'm going back to that.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It should work. I had an elderly couple call in saying that they had hardware from Verizon to connect to the internet because they were out in the country or somewhere that didn't have internet. So I'm assuming it was a USB card of some sort. I was able to get them to connect to the internet.

9. wordforge thread starter macrumors newbie

okay so I tried hooking it up through my wireless router and no luck. I even tried to do it with the "airport sharing" option enabled. still no dice. This is really frustrating. It took three easy steps on my old windows machine!

There has to be a way to do this. I'm not a mac genius but i'm hoping one of you is.

Okay, Update.

I just noticed that my xbox is seeing my mac when I have the internet sharing option enabled through airport, even though it's connected through ethernet.

what I mean is, when Internet sharing is disabled my xbox has no IP address but now that I have the sharing enabled, the xbox has and IP adress, subnet mask, gateway, DNS etc..

so doesn't that mean that the problem lies not with my xbox but with my mac? I wonder if I go and get an airport device for my xbox I could just share my internet that way?

I'll go pick one up on my way home from work today and let you all know how it goes.

10. wordforge thread starter macrumors newbie

sharing Verizon Wireless internet over MacBook Airport with Xbox 360 (Phew!)

Okay, so here's the deal.

I've got a Verizon Wireless USB720 broadband card. Due to the fact that qwest wont give me internet at my home (see: crap). so I can't use my Xbox online. but what I want to do is, use the internet sharing feature of my MacBook and basically turn my notebook into a wireless bridge for my Xbox 360.

Here's what i've tried so far:

I've hooked the usb720 directly to the 360 = Nothing

I've hooked the 360 to my macbook via ethernet = more nothing

i've put a linksys router between my macbook and my 360 = suddenly my 360 has an IP adress. But this is from the router not my computer.

I enabled Airport sharing of my usb720 on my macbook and pluged a wireless adapter into my 360 = my 360 can see my notebook as a network. but cannot complete the network testing.

I think I need to do something with the IP address but the thing is i don't know what that is, because I found two different IP addresses and when i ask "terminal" i can't find one.

So i'm kind of at a loss, help me if you can guys.

thanks in advance

11. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

So you've got Verizon card-->MacBook. MacBook-->XBox360.

That should be it. You should be able to share your internet via Ethernet in the settings menu. At least that's how it worked when I had a WiFi signal, and used my MacBook to share that signal with my roomate's desktop computer via Ethernet.

12. wordforge thread starter macrumors newbie

you'd think that, but when I go to select the option to share internet with the verizon card there is no "ethernet" option. there's only "Airport"

So I went and got a wireless adapter for my 360 and it's still not working. I can switch on the internet sharing over my airport and the 360 will see the network, but it can't complete the test for some reason.

frustrating...

13. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

What if you try turning on web sharing and/or file sharing on the MacBook side of things?

14. wordforge thread starter macrumors newbie

negative. I've got them both on, and i've set the 360 to search automatically and no go.

how do I check the MAC filtering on my notebook?

Interesting though, when I enabled Web Sharing the 360 found it's own IP address and subnet mask but it doesn't seem to want to find the gateway.

15. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

MAC filtering is off by default, if it can even be set.

I still think the root issue here is that you're getting the internet over your USB device... =\

Does your router support hooking the Verizon dongle up to it directly over USB?

16. wordforge thread starter macrumors newbie

well, it does have a usb port in the back but it's so you can connect the router to the computer, i dont think i can connect the dongle directly to the router. But you did give me the idea to connect the router to my notebook and try and run the internet through the router that way.

seems like one extra step though.

17. wordforge thread starter macrumors newbie

strike that, it doesn't have a usb port in the back. so i'm back to trying to get the airport from the notebook to work.

damn.

thing is, i'm not good at the networking thing. so what I think I need to do is figure out why, every time i sign onto the internet my IP address changes. maybe that'll help.

18. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The IP changes because you're on an "on-demand" network, kind of like dial-up, as opposed to an always-on connection like cable or DSL.

The IP your Verizon dongle is being assigned shouldn't affect your MacBook's ability to share the connection with your XBox so long as it's assigning an IP address to the XBox.

I'm pretty much stumped at this point without being able to get hand-on with your computer/issue.

19. wordforge thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i'm stumped to, and i'm on the phone with xbox tech support right now. They're being perfectly useless.

Xbox Live support = fail.

20. wordforge thread starter macrumors newbie

21. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The link has all the instructions for you! :)

As far as the lines of code, you'll enter those into "Terminal." That's located in Applications-->Utilities-->Terminal

If you read in the comments, the 2nd reply/comment tells you how to actually open the file they're referencing, as I can't find the /etc or /tmp folder at the moment; I forget where I've seen them in the past.

For me, you HAVE to have internet sharing turned on to make the bootpd.plist even exist, if it's off, the file won't exist.

22. wordforge thread starter macrumors newbie

23. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Feels good, don't it?

Enjoy your new found connectivity!! :D