Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheWraith

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2024
After many weeks of frantic wondering...iPadOS 18 landed with a big wet thud.

Literally nothing changed about Stage Manager, multitasking, or Files app, or anything to make it work better.

I wasn't disappointed, because it's what I expect from iPadOS—of course the Apple Intelligence stuff is great, if you're on an iPad that can use it, but basically nothing happened to the iPad in particular other than...a calculator app.

Maybe next year, or maybe never.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA

Literally nothing changed about Stage Manager, multitasking, or Files app, or anything to make it work better.

I wasn't disappointed, because it's what I expect from iPadOS—of course the Apple Intelligence stuff is great, if you're on an iPad that can use it, but basically nothing happened to the iPad in particular other than...a calculator app.

Come on man, that calculator app is huge....literally! :D

Aka757

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
I think anyone expecting there to be something groundbreaking at WWDC was leading themselves on. There was no way Apple would announce anything that truly changed the core experience, or even anything that was M2 / M4-specific.

The math notes stuff in Calculator / Notes is cool, and I'm personally excited for collapsible sections in Notes, but the core experience is more or less identical.

kuau

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
What a disappointment though it was expected
I think Apple needs to drop the “Pro” name of the iPad
There is nothing pro about it.
IOS was never designed to be a multitasking OS from day one. So unless Apple does what they did way back when the original OSX was announced we are stuck with a single task OS. kinda reminds me of the original MacOS 9

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Yeah. There's nothing about Apple Intelligence that sells me on the idea that (a) I want it, and (b) that it will be enough to remedy a lot of the functionality gaps between iPadOS as it is today and macOS.

Apple Intelligence is worth it. You’ll get a best-in-class AI experience with the latest and greatest iPads Pros. Calculator app, too.
There's nothing in Apple Intelligence that is making me think "damn, I really should go out and buy an iPad Air or iPad Pro." I suspect that I'll be far from alone in feeling that way.

backstreetboy

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2023
What a disappointment though it was expected
I think Apple needs to drop the “Pro” name of the iPad
There is nothing pro about it.
IOS was never designed to be a multitasking OS from day one. So unless Apple does what they did way back when the original OSX was announced we are stuck with a single task OS. kinda reminds me of the original MacOS 9
Que? The price is pro.

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
i think a lot of people were hoping for M4 specific refinements. That's the theory for why they got the M4's out the door so quickly. WWDC was supposed to convince people to upgrade.

Now everything announce works at least on M1s, what's the point of anybody on M1 upgrading go M4?
I figured if they were rolling out M4 exclusive features they would have made it clear upon release to drive more sales.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I held off upgrading my M2 11" and my M1 12.9" to see what was announced and figure out if things like the extra memory/core in the 1TB would be worth it. Seeing nothing groundbreaking announced at all as far as usability or groundbreaking new features requiring extra horsepower, I may just upgrade the M1 12.9 to a base model M4 13" and stick with the M2 11".

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Yeah. There's nothing about Apple Intelligence that sells me on the idea that (a) I want it, and (b) that it will be enough to remedy a lot of the functionality gaps between iPadOS as it is today and macOS.

There's nothing in Apple Intelligence that is making me think "damn, I really should go out and buy an iPad Air or iPad Pro." I suspect that I'll be far from alone in feeling that way.

Not yet, maybe. But they really are opening all this up to third-party developers so extensively it will make Apple platforms the best place to create incredible new AI experiences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.