No exercise credit in my daily move log

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JoeFkling, Jun 30, 2015.

1. JoeFkling macrumors regular

Logged exercise, no credit for exercise on my daily move. I calibrated it and I still get no credit. I cant believe that it would have a failure on one of its main features. I get credit for standing and calories but not on the exercise recording. Is my watch bad?

Yesterday I had 3 logged workouts and ended up getting 19 minutes of credit at random times other than the logged workouts. I think its just going random and not really doing anything at this point. Thoughts?

2. friedmud macrumors 65816

Your heart rate has to get above a certain number before it starts being counted as as "exercise". In my experience that number is around 100 BPM.... but it may be different for your body/age/etc.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

as @friedmud says, not all activity increases the exercise ring - Apple's official take is it has to be exercise that's more than a "brisk walk"

4. JoeFkling thread starter macrumors regular

The heart rate shouldnt be an issue for me. I am up in the 144 range each time. This morning average HR was 144. Last nights walk average was 142, bike was 145, walk yesterday morning was 144. Im a big guy, doesnt take much to get my HR going. The only workout that is higher was a boxing workout that was up near 150 average.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

The sensor on both of my watches will quite or fail to record my HR during an excercise for no reason. I have tried it tight, loose and up and down my wrist. There is no telling when it will work or not. All will be fine and then all of a sudden there is nothing during a run or brisk walk.

I reverted back to my Fitbit Surge for keeping track of my fitness/heart rate.

6. Lord Egregious macrumors member

Is this the first time you have used each of the categories under exercise? I know my first time walking and biking it gave me weird numbers but since then it's recorded everything really well. HR does need to be above a certain number for it to really count so I'd try to give your next bike a real go and see that makes a difference.

7. JoeFkling thread starter macrumors regular

When I use the actual exercise app it works fine. Calories, average heart rate, time and distance is fine. But that damn green circle just doesn't want to move. It did finally move when I do an "other" workout. Just not on bike or walk.

8. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

I experienced similar issues, here is what I found out.

If i was on a treadmill and not having much arm movement, it didn't register.
    If I swung my arm and gently tapped (made light contact with) the handle or sides of the treadmill with my hand it started registering.

So it seems the exercise ring is heavily (completely) tied to the accelerometer?
    I understand you dont want false readings, but maybe it should be more sensitive to movement when the heart rate is also elevated.

9. dandrewk macrumors 6502

We need to make this topic part of a permanent Q/A. Every few days someone posts this sort of "problem", wondering if his/her watch is defective, or if somehow Apple has screwed up mightily... even though it seems to "affect" only a small few.

The answer to the above: NO, Apple has not screwed up, and mostly likely NO, your watch is not defective.

As mentioned, "exercise" doesn't accrue simply by starting a workout, for all but the "other" category. For all else, it depends on the workout routine selected. You have to actually work a bit hard - leisurely strolls or bike rides don't count as "exercise", nor should they for this purpose.

I'm not at all certain that heart rate enters into any of the routines, but I know for a fact it has no bearing on "outdoor walks". It's all about pace, and in order for the minutes to accrue I have to do 18 minute miles or better. This might be a bit perplexing, as walking uphill my heart rate really gets going and I have to work a lot harder. But if I don't climb those hills fast enough, zero minutes accrue.

The exact cutoff for walks/runs/cycling etc. is an unknown, and may vary depending on age/BMI etc. I'm surprised we haven't seen any independent tests to determine exactly what these magic numbers are. It seems like this would be an ideal story for any of the myriad Apple or fitness web sites.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

My my experience it is all about Heart Rate for the app to key on. The OP's HR was well above what was required so his watch suffers the same defect as my previous AW. Sometimes it works perfect and other time it does not. I still think Apple has a bit of work to do to the software on the watch and the app.

Apple gets reports from watches all the time and they have to know there is an occasional problem and I have confidence they will fix it.