No ExpressCard slot on the MacBook??? OMG!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by martin1636, Feb 1, 2008.

1. martin1636 macrumors newbie

OMG!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've just found out that the MacBook actually doesn't have a ExpressCard slot! How can this be? Every other notebook has one! This is terrible!!! Do you think that the next gen MacBooks - Early 2008 - will have slots for ExpressCard, because I'm considering to buy a MacBook somewhere around May-June? I really need that slot!

Cheers!

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

3. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Dude.

What rock have you been hiding under?

iBook - never had a card slot.

MacBook - never had a card slot.

12" Powerbook ( G4 ) didn't have a card slot.

And you come here pretending to be alarmed! :D :D :D :D

We're you gonna use the Express Slot to upgrade video to play CRYSIS ? :D :D :D

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not without a significant redesign...there's no room for one in the current design.

5. Bakkalohriat Guest

Bakkalohriat

6. bartelby macrumors Core

I doubt the MacBook will ever get a card slot. It's more of a Pro thing to need.

7. martin1636 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

What device are you going to hook up to your laptop? Chances are that it's either built into the Mac or you can get a USB version of the device.

9. philgilder macrumors 68000

no, not really
    anyway, most other makes still use PCMCIA which is really old... and how many people with the macbook need expresscard?

10. max1018 macrumors member

max1018

It's funny, I have never actually met someone who used one yet. If it's a problem look at the MacBook Pro.

11. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I had a mild phobia that the macbook had no way of been upgraded with extra peripherals due to hardly any slots like pcmcia / expresscard etc.
    The same feeling regarding the imac as well, but it didn't stop me buying both :) never looked back, the macbook has everything i need.

When I first looked into the express slot I was surprised to find that the main cards for these slots were that of extra firewire and usb ports :)

Imagine what the same people would say about the macair and its "many" ports :D

12. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

When I got my MacBook Pro I didn't even think about the Expresscard slot, but now I have a card reader for it, it saves so much time when I am out and taking photos, the download speed is so much faster than from the camera or a USB card reader.

But as for no slot in the MacBook, I really don't think it is a huge issue, there has to be features that tempt people onto the MacBook Pro.

13. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

do you have no idea what an expresscard is?

also the macbook really should come with an expresscard. this is just apple staying behind on the technology curve as per usual

14. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I am sure he was joking :)

15. landis macrumors regular

1. [removed]

2. apple is always ahead of the technology curve compared to other pc manufacturers

3. expresscard is still not commonplace as most laptops still use pc cards and 99% of macbook users dont even know what one is and if you REALLY need one, get a mbp!!

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've always wanted an ExpressCard slot in my MacBook but I end up knowing I'm too cheap to buy anything to use in it anyways.

I seem to remember Steve making mention at the iBook launch back in 1999 that they removed the PCMCIA slot to save space and cost since most users never use it.

17. isaack macrumors newbie

i really think they shoul've squeezed it into the macbookair to make it a little more versatile. anyone agree?

18. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

No

19. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

Plus, isn't one of the reasons there isn't a slot due to the fact the Macbook has integrated video? The video card in the MBP runs on the PCI-E bus, which I don't think the Macbook has.

20. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Video is not the only thing PCIe is used for. If you look at the MacBook developer note you can see the Airport card is attached by PCIe.

The real answer is that the MacBook is the low cost option. Adding features like ExpressCard would bump up the price and bring the MacBook too close to the MacBook Pro.

21. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Actually yes I do.

In fact the Expresscard slot on the MBP os what prompted me to keep my Powerbook with its' PCMCIA card slot.

You see at the time the MBP came out I was using a Verizon Aircard for Internet access and the Aircard was not available on Expresscard nor was it available on USB.

Now let me ask you another question???

do you have any idea what sarcasm is???

PM me and I will explain the point of the sarcasm, OK.

{ some people just need a little extra help, that's all }

22. Jetmart macrumors newbie

Jetmart

I am new to Mac. Made the jump from PC. I have a MBP with the express card slot. Can you give me some idea what I might use it for and what would be the benefits?

Sorry for my ignorance.

23. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

1. There's no need to ruin the atmosphere here by harassing the other forum members.

2. I'd like some elaboration and documentation on this instead of you simply spewing bold statements.

3. First sensible thing you say in this post :)

24. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

HEY i used it when i had my dell xps1210 to use a cingular express internet card

25. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Those of you saying that the MB doesn't need an ExpressCard slot because most notebooks don't have one need to take a stroll through your local Best Buy/CC and actually look at PC notebooks. Most in the 400-600 range do not, but once you cross that $600 barrier ExpressCard is a standard feature with only a couple still using PC Card. It's also in most notebooks regardless of the size. The slim 11" Sony and 13" Toshiba notebooks at BB have an ExpressCard slot.

The fact that most of you think that an ExpressCard slot is a "Pro" feature shows that the RDF is in full effect.

Also, the subject of Video cards came up. ExpressCard provides a direct interface for both USB and PCI-Express 1x. Yes, ExpressCard can be used for video card upgrades. The bandwidth available to 1x cards is roughly the same as AGP 1x. It's not blazing fast but it allows 3rd party dock makers to to make docks that plug in to the ExpressCard slot and utilize high-resolution outputs, perhaps even add two more monitors to your laptops screen.