No FaceTime audio to Apple Watch! :-(

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by WilliamG, Apr 9, 2015.

1. WilliamG macrumors 604

2. dilap macrumors 6502a

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

wonder if it will come via an update. Does FaceTime video work?

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

5. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Considering that the Apple Watch has no camera, that would be a mostly one-sided conversation.

6. macsplusmacs macrumors regular

Boo.

my GF and our families and I have switched to FA since its sounds so clear in comparison to ATT to Verizon.

hopefully this is a software update.

7. tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

I would look for a lot of additional features coming soon. I bet an update will hit first week or May or so. Not sure if they'll do facetime audio but you just never know.

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Hmm, I wonder if it is because they drop the stream quality to/from the watch since cellular network quality sucks. So doing FT audio would mean more packets sent from phone to watch, meaning much faster battery drain. And if they downgraded the quality then the person on the other end would notice.

9. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

No. FA works with bluetooth headsets and their audio quality, restricted as it is by the specification, is already far worse than any phone network or whatever will be done with the watch which is probably right on par with, if not exactly matching, BT headset quality.

It's more likely just an oversight, or, potentially a usability problem that's not immediately obvious those not intimately involved in its development.

10. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Wow, that's a major flaw to me. In fact, it's so bad that I'm actually reconsidering buying the watch. :(

11. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

You were really only buying the watch for this reason?

12. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

WOW. If no facetime audio is a dealbreaker you must not have wanted it very bad. JUST PULL YOUR PHONE OUT for that thing you will almost never do!

I for one am sick of getting peoples facetime butt dials (and somehow accidentally initiating them). Luckily no one I know ever answers one so I can stop it when it happens.

13. Pooshka macrumors 65816

65% yes.

14. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

For Facetime Audio? SERIOUSLY?? Wow.

15. Pooshka macrumors 65816

I want it badly. But 95% of my calls are FaceTime Audio. I only have 100 minutes through my carrier.

16. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

FaceTime audio is mentioned a number of times in the Apple Watch OS Terms and Conditions – there's a whole section dedicated to it. (Everyone here read the Terms and Conditions before starting to use the Watch, right?)

I sort of suspect that "phone" either could already be, or will be, hybridized with it. Possible?

17. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

All my family lives in another country, and we use FaceTime on a regular basis, so I can understand the disappointment that it doesn't work through the Watch. It's certainly something I'd like added before long.

18. macsplusmacs macrumors regular

I know. I'm bummed too. The GF and I switched over to FA a few months ago because the voice quality is SOOO much better.

I have to think that this is a software update away though.