No Facetime in Middle east?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by demitry101, Oct 13, 2010.

1. demitry101 macrumors newbie

One of the iPhone carriers in the U.A.E. has, through its Twitter account, confirmed that FaceTime is disabled on iPhone 4 smartphones that are set to go on sale in the country on Saturday

A number of tweets posted on the official Twitter account of du, one of the two official iPhone suppliers in the U.A.E. states: "Unfortunately not! FaceTime feature won't be available in all iPhone 4 models in the UAE."

here's tweet message from one of operators that tells to it's clients that facetime in UAE is disabled
    [​IMG]

this ad made by apple before and after
    [​IMG]

For me the facetime was activated when I purchased iPhone4, I updated my iOS to 4.1 I was shocked that facetime buttom in contact details are disappeared.
    here's my iPhone after I update new iOS
    [​IMG]

Also Facetime Option in phone settings, All people I know noticed that well!!, I checked online and I discovered that Apple itself banned this feature, This image below located at /System/Library/RegionFeatures.txt or /System/Library/Lockdown/RegionFeatures.txt

[​IMG]

the code that matters to us: “NOVOIP(0×80)” as in no Voice over IP and in this case, most likely, FaceTime. It is located in front of 2 model number codes: “AE” (most likely Arab Emirates?) and “AB” (most like Arab?). With the iPhone 3GS the UAE/Saudi Arabia model iPhones had AB not AE.

This only proves that the FaceTime limitation is tied to the model number of the iPhone and not the Carrier Settings

now the question that I want & other Middle east iPhone owners want to know, Is there solution for this issue or not?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont think there is a solution since your carrier will not support that feature you will not be able to activate facetime untill they do offer it.

3. abthegreat macrumors regular

I do have FaceTime running but my phone is bought in the UK and yes i didnt upgrade from iTunes instead used option+update for the 4.1 upgrade IPSW from the internet.

4. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

How does this prove that it is tied to the model? If you take this iPhone to Germany and put in a German sim, Facetime will be enabled. Fish around and soon a package in Cydia will re-enable it.

5. demitry101 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, even if you put german SIM will not work, Apple check the model #, My Phone for example is "MC603AE/A", this model indecates that this iPhone is from Middle East - UAE users, this is how they check it not from SIM.

6. demitry101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not Because of carrier, they are not envolve on this, when I brought iPhone4 with iOS version 4.0.2 it was working and I can make Facetime calls, when I update it, Facetime option is vanashed!, even carriers wondering why Apple banned facetime feature! :(

7. demitry101 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's because you have UK model #, apple focus on Middle east Models to banned facetime.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That sucks for middle east users.
    Did they say why they disabled it?

9. demitry101 thread starter macrumors newbie

they didn't mention anything about it
    I realized that we "As Middle east users" ****ed up not only in politics, But even in technology.

10. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

You should not have updated. There were many articles online telling people not to upgrade if they wanted to keep their Facetime.

11. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Does Apple think it would be pointless?

[​IMG]

Seems kind of discriminatory to me.

12. dilgit macrumors regular

Israel is in the Middle East and facetime works like charm!! My iphone 4 is an english model but my daughter's is an Israeli device and we're using facetime all the time. Could be that facetime is available only in democratic countries in the middle east??!!

13. RleedingBectum macrumors newbie

That does seem kinda racist and bigoted.... umm.. **** you.