No FaceTime over 3G on iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chevy57, Jun 8, 2011.

1. chevy57 macrumors regular

FaceTime over 3G--It's a little curious that we didn't hear anything about FaceTime during the iOS 5 announcement. :( One of the features we wanted was FaceTime over 3G instead of just Wi-Fi, but we suspect this has more to do with the carriers than with Apple.

2. ivandr macrumors regular

Uhhhm 3G Unrestrictor or many other programs available through Cydia allows this already in iOS 4... I've been video chatting while on the highway for months (as a passenger of course!) now...

oh and who is 'we'? :rolleyes:

3. chevy57 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I have My3G on my Iphone 4 but some friend won't want jailbreak.

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I'm pretty sure its a carrier thing, imagine all the bandwith that would use up, I suspect its also a combination of Apple not wanting the bad connection quality over 3G reflecting bad on the device as well... This is probably why they havent pushed back too hard. Plus I would imagine this would be a problem for people who have limited data plans.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Facetime works fine over 3G on iOS 4 if the carriers wanted it to.

So it probably does work in iOS 5 just like it works in iOS 4. Which is to say it works but you can't have it.

So I can see why they didn't feel that was worth the time to talk about.

6. chevy57 thread starter macrumors regular