No fee Amex "Charge" card

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, Nov 6, 2008.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i've got Blue Cash from American Express, and oddly, i've been getting invitations to the Platinum card. Now i pay in full anyways, but never wanted to pay an annual fee. How many of you have gotten an Amex charge with no fee? I would be happy with the green or gold card for i have no used for the platinum at my age (21). They haven't upped my credit limit or anything but keep asking me to get it. Advise would be nice.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've had a Green, then Gold card for years. I paid a fee the first year. Every year, when they charge me the fee, I call and tell them to remove it or cancel my card. They've removed it every time.

3. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

so is there an AMEX card that doesn't charge you a fee? Is that Optima?

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I have the same card as you. I get platium offers about once a month. I just put them in the trash. I refuse to pay any fees for my credit card.

I took AMEX blue cash because it has no fees and offered the best cash back. Like you I always pay my balance in full.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

If you travel a lot for business the platinum card is well worth it. Otherwise, just leave it. No idea if you can get round the fees though.

6. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well seeing as i'm still in school, i don't travel for business otherwise i know it would be worth it. I'm just wondering if i could get one of their lower charge cards with no fee, otherwise i'll just stick with what i've got.

7. therevolution macrumors 6502

I had a gold Amex, but decided it wasn't worth the $150 per year. When I was charged for year 3, I gave them the same remove-it-or-cancel-me ultimatum.

They decided to let me cancel. :eek:

To their credit (ha), they did let me transfer my points to a Blue Rewards card, which has no annual fee. Win-win, I suppose.