No File Left Behind

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DiskDoom, Feb 12, 2012.

1. DiskDoom macrumors newbie

First off, let me start by saying that if info regard my subsequent question is somewhere else in this forum please feel free to redirect me there...otherwise--- HELP!!!!

My nephew was playing medal of honor on my quad core 3.0 Mac Pro (2006) and the screens went blank. I'm pretty sure the ATi radeon got a little hot.

However when I went to boot everything back up after a cooling off period the system ran like a slugg. So I ran the disk utility off the OSX Snow Leapord disk.

It failed disk repair within a few seconds.

I'm going to buy a new drive-- cause this drive was the original and is really noisy-- and do a fresh OS install.

My question is this-- can I set the old drive up as a slave drive and just move all my files from the old disk to the new disk? We have most everything backed up to an external network drive but my wife has some recent stuff she really really wants.

Thanks for any help.

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you can. If the HDD is still recognised, you can use it like any other HDD in your MP or external HDD connected to your MP.

You can either use Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant or simply Finder to migrate your files from the old HDD to the new HDD.

3. DiskDoom thread starter macrumors newbie