No flash for new iPad 3 camera.

phillyred79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Anyone else a little disappointed? I mean 5mp is great, but to take advantage of that I would think an led flash would compliment it nicely.

LJ50

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2011
Anyone else a little disappointed? I mean 5mp is great, but to take advantage of that I would think an led flash would compliment it nicely.
Not disappointed in the slightest.

Actually, that's not true. I am disappointed they wasted any time and resource updating the rear-facing camera as it is almost entirely useless on a device of the iPad's form factor. Money would have been better spent upgrading the front-facing camera.

Can you imagine how poor Facetime is going to look on a high resolution screen?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Not disappointed in the slightest.

Actually, that's not true. I am disappointed they wasted any time and resource updating the rear-facing camera as it is almost entirely useless on a device of the iPad's form factor. Money would have been better spent upgrading the front-facing camera.

Can you imagine how poor Facetime is going to look on a high resolution screen?
This.

I guess people take pictures of documents and whatnot and import or convert them into pdfs. But to walk around the park or beach with an iPad taking pictures seems a little silly.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
They held back the camera flash with the 8mp camera for the next iPad. Gotta give the people a reason to upgrade.

Same goes for Siri. 1/2 Siri now and the rest next year.

LJ50

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2011
Almost being the operative word. It is a God send to read barcodes for my DVD Profiler app.... :cool:
Fair point. I revise my statement. A higher resolution rear-facing camera is entirely useless.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Fair point. I revise my statement. A higher resolution rear-facing camera is entirely useless.
Scanning documents is also a pretty good application. Submitting expense reports is a breeze for me these days. Full page scans are a bit trickier, but work.