NO FLASH, Weak OS, and crappy CPU

Discussion in 'iPad' started by keith28, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keith28 macrumors member

I'm tired of waiting for Flash on the iPhone. Never mind waiting for it on the iPad. The big problem is the cheap CPU in the iPhone and iPad that can handle FLASH. I would rather pay $1000 more to good iPad with full Mac OS X.
    I'll be quiet honest, I wont be buying the iPad with the OS it is running.
    It's useless and already so out dated. Why would you by an iPad if you already have an iPhone. As a matter of fact, I'm not buying another iPhone till these issues are resolved. :mad:

Gizmodo posted an issue about no Flash on the iPad.
    http://gizmodo.com/5475005/steve-jobs-flash-video-would-make-the-ipad-battery-life-15-hours

What do you think?

2. revs macrumors regular

OK, you needed to vent, thats fine, but i'm pretty sure yet another thread was not needed.

I wont bother with the flash comments, but would you care to give some facts on why you call it a "cheap" CPU? Every hands on experience of the iPad has said that its extremely fast. What more do you want? extremely extremely fast?

As for weak OS? again, some facts or reasoning please? otherwise there is about 1% content in your post.

3. marcopolo007uk macrumors member

Why would you by an iPad if you already have an iPhone?

If I can avoid 2 hours looking at a small iphone screen whilst browsing or reading a book on my sofa, I'll take the iPad thanks.

Go use a Windows based tablet for a day, you will soon realise why any desktop OS is not suited for tablet computing.

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Then go pay $1000 for a tablet with OSX

nobody is stopping you.

Did you just drive by and drop this bad thread off, or did you actually read any of the hundreds of other threads here first?

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

lmao crappy CPU it has been praised for its low power snappyness (yes im using that word). i would like to see you engineer a mainstream computer CPU into an iPad.

6. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Does that even exist?

7. WytRaven macrumors 6502

Yes

8. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Would you/someone care to elaborate? My understanding is that installing OS X on anything other than an Apple is illegal and Apple don't yet make a tablet.

9. marcopolo007uk macrumors member

10. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I'd say $1,649 is quite a lot more than $1,000.

11. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Apple has always had a small following of dedicated 'Hackintosh' users. They install OSX on a variety of compatible. There is a 'super-thread' going on here.

12. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

I cannot understand why anyone was expecting a desktop OS X tablet. Tablets with a desktop OS have been a failure for almost 10 years now. Why would Apple do the same?

13. Sketh macrumors 6502

Sketh

NO POINT, Weak grammar, and crappy crap.

But really, I've seen just about enough of these threads. We understand you do not like the iPad. I wonder if the OP will ever respond to any of these points here?

14. rayward macrumors 68000

Apple makes the MacBook Air. Anyone who wants a tiny portable computer that runs desktop OS X and has things like ports and keyboards, should simply buy one of those. I was going to buy one until the iPad was announced, but the iPad is exactly what I want and the MBA, for me, is overkill.

15. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Because most people are clueless and have no idea what they are talking about.

The fact that the OP called the A4 a "cheap CPU" is solid proof.

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

17. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

why would you run a full os on a mobile device?

18. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

What I find extremely amusing is the sheer number of posts slamming a product that has yet to grace any store shelves, and currently is only in the hands of an extremely limited number of people.

I just want these negative people to **** and wait until we can actually pick one up and USE IT!!! We don't know anything about how it works, except from OTHER people. I, for one, would rather let it live or die on its OWN merits, not those of an opinionated reviewer.

Let me tell you about system specs. Only the tech geeks among us even care about them. The vast majority of people either haven't learned about, or even care about, the specs of their particular system. As long as they somewhat match up with the other computers in the store, along with the price point, most people will think they're getting a pretty good computer, which is true, for the most part. When I got my first Mac, and iMac I bought in August 2006, it only has 512MB of RAM. The very first thing I did upon getting it home was to put an additional 1GB of RAM in it. Could it have run Tiger with only 512MB of RAM? Probably so, but I never found out. I ASSUMED that it couldn't run Tiger well, if at all, on that "puny" amount of RAM. Likewise, people are grouching about the lack of RAM and CPU in the iPad, when NO ONE has seen it other than the extremely few people I mentioned above. Let it hit the market before you bury it, already. You complaining masses also need to use your own minds, not others, to figure out if this is indeed a good product. I depend on my own faculties, and don't want to depend on anyone else.

I'll probably get one, if for no other reason than for development purposes, but I don't think it's a bad device. It's perfect for what I really need while on vacation, although I have taken my MacBook Pro because I follow the old maxim "it's better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it." That will be amended after my iPad purchase, whenever that is. I'm planning on letting my iPhone app sales get me the money for purchase.

Lastly, get over the no Flash thing. It's NOT going to come to the iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch - NEVER. I personally think Steve Jobs likes Adobe a little bit less than both AT&T and Google.

19. bossxii macrumors 68000

That is and has been available for some time. Modbooks are there for the taking, pick as powerful a machine as you wish. I've seen post after post like this of people saying "I'd pay $2000 bucks if the damn thing had OSX!!" Well ladies and gentlemen, knock yourself out, modbooks are exactly what you describe over and over. Apple is not going to put OSX on the iPad platform as they realize how bad the experience would be. Screen to small, CPU/GPU underpowered. Everyone says they need a hybrid OSX... iPhone OS is it, and it's not going anywhere. This is the path Apple has chosen, they have 3 years and 75 million devices running it, they are not going to switch it out now and leave all the apps and developers out in the cold on a new device.

Full desktop OS's on tablet have been around for a decade... and none have gone mainstream and very few if any are under 1k to 1500 in price. It's just not going to happen in the Apple camp as they have chosen their OS for mobile devices back in 2007. iPhone OS.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Well to be fair - you can't have people praising the iPad either then. It's not a legitimate "request" to limit discussion to only how good something is - especially given your criteria.

21. gt1948 macrumors regular

gt1948

Duh! :p:p:p

22. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

This arguement that people should just buy a modbook if they want OS X on the ipad is bogus. Look a the specs:

Ipad: 1.5 pounds, 0.5 inches thick

Modbook: 5.3 pounds, 1.16 inches thick

The modbook is a large, heavy, clunky tablet, while the ipad is a sleak and light tablet. Who wants to carry around a modbook, its too large to be used the same way as the ipad. Therefore its a totally different device and formfactor than the ipad and not a real alternative to an ipad.

23. bossxii macrumors 68000

Technology is simply not there yet and while clearly many people don't get it, Apple does. The heat issue alone is proven a problem in the Macbook Air. Thin design, C2D with limited hardware and still have heat issue, even with fans. Making a thin tablet powerful enough to run a desktop OS is simply not possible right without making it everything you said. Battery life of the MBP line shows you how large and heavy the battery needs to be to run a even a C2D CPU. Their are simply to many design challenges to create an iPad size, weight tablet that is powerful enough to run a desktop OS and all the programs people would use.

If it was possible to build a thin, lightweight tablet running C2D or Quad chips it would already be done.

24. DaveSW macrumors 6502

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.