No Free iTMS Downloads on iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by IJ Reilly, Nov 28, 2007.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sorry if this has been discussed previously, but I just noticed that the iTunes Music Store charges $0.99 for music downloads to the iPod Touch which are otherwise free. Other than downloading on the Mac and syncing to the iPod, has anyone found a work-around?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That's strange, I can download the free songs to my iPhone.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can? Where?
    I can't.

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

5. steve.lawrence macrumors member

I don't know how it works for the US wifi iTunes store, but in New Zealand the free single of the week is always a banner icon on the top left of the 'Whats Hot' screen.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah it looks like all I have is the option to buy their banner picks.

How do you find that link otherwise? It worked great.

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I found a song which is available for free download in iTunes, but on the mobile version of the store, this song was not free. That was yesterday. Today it's free, once I locate it. I wonder if this happened because the first time I looked, it was on a Tuesday?

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Today was the first time I tried, after reading this thread. I fired up iTunes on desktop, got the name of a free song and typed it in on my iPhone while in the iTunes Wifi Store. Viola- free download.

9. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Hmm. It gets stranger. I located and tapped download for the free song. It jumped to the download icon, asked for my password, then... nothing! No download, not in my library, not in my download list, nothing. The iTMS listing now shows no price button for this song. What gives?

10. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

that's real weird. I didn't have a problem when I downloaded free songs.

11. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've tried this several times now. I tap the buy button, it jumps to the download icon, I type my password, and nothing happens. It absolutely will not download. This is very strange, since I bought an album on the Touch just yesterday and it went fine. It may have nothing to do with free songs at all, but has anyone ever seen this behavior?

EDIT: Okay, I think I figured out the problem. I tried to download the free song from iTunes and was asked to accept new terms of service, and also to update my account balance. Apparently the mobile version of iTunes can't handle one or both of these requests, and aborted the download instead. Once I clicked through these dialog boxes in iTunes on the Mac, I was able to download the song on the Touch.