No Free Space on Partition 1 and 2??

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MacCalPro, Mar 30, 2012.

1. MacCalPro, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

MacCalPro macrumors newbie

I just currently reformatted my MacBook Pro. Did not download the Windows support software due to it being unavailable when selected. Figured I could install it later because I have my discs. I boot camped my mac and partitioned.
    When I'm installing Windows. The screen looks like.

Where do you want to install Windows?
    Name | Total Size | Free Space | Type
    Disk 0 Partition 1 | 200.0 MB | 0.0 MB | Primary
    Disk 0 Partition 2 | 42.8 GB | 0.0 MB | Primary
    Disk 0 Unallocated Space | 128.0 MB | 128.0 MB
    Disk 0 Partition 3: BOOTCAMP | 69.8 GB | 69.8 MB | Primary

I'm lost. Should my Partition 1 and Partiont 2 say 0.0 MB of Free Space??
    Every screen shot I've seen of this step, they have free space on their partition 1 and partition 2. Have I done something incorrect? Please advise.
    Thank you.

I can provide screen shots later when my MacBook is running.

Previously, I was unable to install Windows. I forget what error message I received. I believe it had something to do with Format issues.
    Also, after hitting Format under Drive Options Advanced, I was able to Install Windows.
    I'm unsure if my partition drive was in NTFS. But I'm assuming it is? Since, I was able to install Windows.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the partition is right there its even label BOOTCAMP 69.8GB 69.8 FREE, if it says not right format when you pick it than click that partion and click advanced towards the bottom of the screen than hit format this will make the partition the right format and you will than start the install windows process

3. MacCalPro thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry. My question wasn't which partition to choose. It was, is it normal to have my Partition 1 and Partition 2 to state that there is No Free Space available?

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i dont recall what mine said when I did my bootcamp install, it might be normall are those partions for OSX? maybe windows doesnt read them properly due to the formatting?