No free Support for Ebay 4890s...use your heads people

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacVidCards, Dec 7, 2009.

1. MacVidCards Suspended

Netkas has posted on his site an image from an Ebay ad for 4890.

I went and did a search, there are no fewer than 3 sellers I saw here in US hawking 4890s. My first thought is I wonder if any of the "please help me with my 4890 for my home use" folks I helped were actually people looking to make a buck. This galls me a little.

But I think my big concern is that none of these ads have so much as a mention of the fact that when 10.6.3, etc come out, that these sellers are basically counting on Netkas to do their Customer Service and write another QE/CI patch for them. Nowhere do they mention that these cards become paperweights if Netkas goes boating for 2 weeks. I tried to write a QE/CI patch once like his...more to it than just the obvious. I do believe that Cindori tried as well recently and finally had to admit that Netkas' patch was needed.

So a word to the wise....Netkas has been kind enough to think up the original 4890 ROM. He then wrote the patch to enable 3D. Why are these people expecting him to continue supporting the things they are making money off of?Use your heads folks...Netkas owes us NOTHING. If he gets annoyed or bored with doing free customer service for everybody it won't be good.

The decent thing is to give credit where due. And I think anyone selling 4890s should approach Netkas and ask if he will continue to support their product...in fact they should send him a piece of the pie. Tight economy...everyone is hurting a little...but that doesn't mean you can just walk over the lines of decency and make money off other people's work and give them no credit. (Psystar has already done enough of this)

I would like to believe that if those sellers make any new discoveries after helping themselves to the work done here, that they will share their knowledge and do some "giving" to match the "taking" they have already done.

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

if I were netkas, id like to send a letter, stating that he will cut support if they don't stop selling cards.

im not bothered by the fact that they are selling them, I'm bothered by the fact that they are selling them for twice the normal price. with dependencies of other peoples free work.

yes they are much like psystar.

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

lol

What you will receive:
    One brand new ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB Video Card for the Mac Pro
    Two Mac Pro motherboard power adapter cables
    One CD containing a device ID patch program for each OS & a installation guide

is it just me or does that sound like ATI Flashing Tool?

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It doesn't sound like the flashing tool. It sounds like the Core Image patch.

5. vogelhausdesign macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

It's funny that you mention that. Because back when the over clocking thread was going on with boosting to 3.33 on a quad ( i think, i never pay attention to eBay ad's), really killer advice was given by our community here on how to successfully pop cpu's in and DIY an over clock. At the time I happen to do a search to see if any 09MP's were hitting the market used and I came across 3 different eBay users claiming to be selling computers that apple never created. With no mention that these were inferior chips that had been pushed to their peek. Infact, I think they were so bold as to use the same markup apple did on their ram/HDD.

I see some really, really serious consequences for doing this.

-It creates a new market for DIY kids to sell unsupported products to unsuspecting people in the global market.

-No credit was given to the people here at MR:F whom used their brilliance to help YOU out.

-These people are making a substantial margin on this MP, and none of that money is going to people writing code for it to happen in the first place.

-It's a flat out lie. and if I'm going to stretch this out a bit, it's a fire hazard.

Lets do out best here to make sure this doesn't happen, I say, If you see an eBay listing that looks like someone flipping DIY information they got here to rip people off on eBay, Let's make an example of them by posting it here and then reporting it to eBay.

Who's with me? Sorry for the run on sentence, had a late night

6. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

vog, 3.33 chips have been out for a while and is not hard to put in a mac and resell on ebay. apple recently added the chips themselves.
    overclocks disappear on reboot afaik.

but the rest is true. selling stuff based on homebrew... not a good idea.
    i dont think they would sell these cards if they actually wrote:
    "Updates only possible if a russian guy called netkas feels like writing a patch for you"

7. vogelhausdesign macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

yea sorry about that,you have an excellent point, kind of woke up into a rant on here. but come on! Doesn't it just bother you so much that somebody is reading and probably asking tons of info from the experts here just to take everything and turn around make make 150% profit from it?

8. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

it wouldnt bother me if they sold for normal card price, or heck, 10-20$ extra for doing the flash process, but yes, 150$ is just plain wrong.

more importantly, credit should be where credit is due. nowhere is a mentioning who actually provided the necessary patches, firmware, information (i see some text is basically rewrite from my 4890 thread)

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

How is that different than Apple doing it? People are paying for the convenience of not having to do it themselves. I do agree that it's wrong to not mention that as soon as the user updates their OS or re-installs, they may be outta luck.

10. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

actually might be a way to remove these.

Since this sale includes a CD with modified Apple Copyrighted driver files.
    These are nog legal to distribute, and therefore this auction is violating US copyright laws.

"
    US copyright law gives you the right to modify in order to make your lawful copy interwork or install. By the way, US copyright law also protects your right to tell others how to do it, and you may instruct and authorize others to do it on your behalf. You may not redistribute the altered copies without consent."

anyone care to send ebay an email?

11. MacVidCards thread starter Suspended

It seems to me that sooner or later one of their customers is going to get mad when they realize that they didn't get a "install and forget" video card.

The people we help here are "enthusiasts" who understand that they will need to take an active role in the future updates of their 4890. The Ebay customers have no way of knowing this, especially as this CRUCIAL piece of info has been artfully LEFT OUT of the ads.

This is akin to selling a car and forgetting to mention that every 3 months it has to be "reset" at the dealership or it will stop driving.

I was well aware that our 4870 work spawned an Ebay proliferation...fine. But to use Netkas' work, our research, ROMs, apps, and findings, and then expect Netkas to handle their after-sale support is really beyond the pale.

I would strongly encourage these interlopers to come clean.

12. Bunsen Burner macrumors regular

Indeed. Three of the four "Mac 4890" listings I found on eBay claim the cards to be new. From what I understand, it is physically impossible to flash and test, under multiple operating systems, mind you, a card while still in its sealed box.:rolleyes:

Furthermore, it is implicit in the above listings that these cards will perform swimmingly with each Snow Leopard update.

There is no doubt in my mind that the listers are purposely selling these cards in some nebulous "gray zone" regarding their origins and performance as Macintosh compatible pieces and I have reported them to eBay as such.

BB