No Free Upgrade to '09?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by obacyan, Jan 6, 2009.

1. obacyan macrumors newbie

I am deeply disappointed.

My MBP came to me about a week ago.
    It came with ilife, and I bought iwork '08 because I love keynote.

Perhaps it was a stupid mistake of mine to buy the app a week before the release of iwork '09. Only if had I known it would be released so soon, I would have waited until now.

I searched to see if I could upgrade from '08 to '09 but, of course, none as such seems to be available.

*sigh*

Feels like getting ripped off!

Well, if anybody knows how to upgrade from 08 to 09 cheaper or, better yet, free, please I beg you to tell me how.

2. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

You can try going to the Apple Store or calling Apple if you purchased it direct. They have a 15 Day guarantee against getting burned like this when hardware comes out. They may extend it to software. If you bought it from an Apple Authorized Retailer you're probably SOL.

3. obacyan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm gonna try it then

Thanks for reply.

I bought it at a retail store in Canada and brought it back to Japan.
    Suppose it means I've got no choice but to purchase the new soft.
    Luckily they're not too expensive.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If your computer was purchased on or after January 6, you would qualify for the hardware up-to-date program as noted on the iLife info pages. Then you could get the new version for $9.95 but not if your purchase was made before Jan. 6.

5. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

talk about being SOL, i ordered my laptop on Jan 3rd. I don't even have my laptop yet. but I doubt I'm eligible for the ilife09 upgrade.

6. obacyan thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn...

Why don't they announce the new release ahead of time!?
    It just doesn't make sense at all.
    :(

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Then the folks that bought before that announcement would have issues, and on and on. It's called paying attention to product cycles & timing.

You aren't required to upgrade, iLife '08 and iWork '08 are still perfectly functional. Obviously, they already met your needs, or you wouldn't have purchased in the first place.

8. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Best thing you can do is call Apple. They're extremely understanding when it comes to stuff like this. I remember my friend bought an iPod for his wife, and like two weeks after he ordered it the new one came out. He was disappointed, called Apple, explained his story, and Apple took back the old one and sent him a new one for free. ;)

9. knarzie macrumors regular

i see, so with my December purchase date i am screwed :mad:

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...as has been pointed out in this thread (and others) already - you are not "screwed." The software that shipped with your computer works just fine and upgrading is not mandatory - they are not forcing you to buy '09. They have to have some cut-off date for offering free upgrades and they have to stick to it. Unfortunate for you this time out - yes...but screwed - no.....oh yeah!

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If it were me, and only a matter of days over the line, I'd be tempted to call and plead my case. I bet Customer Service is authorized to be lenient.

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Just harrass them, most of the time they'll just give in, other than that you can upgrade for $9.99 which isnt going to break the bank. well it might break wallstreet, but not your personal bank hopefully.

13. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Wait, they did announce it in advance. It's not available until late January, so really it's a gift* to anyone buying a mac between now and then.

For the laptop purchaser who hasn't received laptop yet, I would definitely call to discuss with customer service. Even anyone else within a few days of Jan. 6. But there are limits.

*FREE! with $9.95 shipping and handling.