No FTP access using two Apple Extremes

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brainwave89, Aug 1, 2013.

1. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

I am having difficulty accessing my Synology DS212j via FTP using FileZilla.

I have a Synology DS212j that is connected to a network switch downstairs. The switch is connected to a Apple Extreme. I enabled NAT-PMP on the Apple Extreme downstairs. The router mode is DHCP and NAT. My upstairs desktop running Windows 8 is connected directly to the second Apple Extreme. This router mode is in bridge mode.

When I go to canyouseeme.org it can see my FTP port.

When I go to net2ftp.com and test the port I am able to see the DS212j and its directories.

When outside the home I try to connect to the DS212j using Filezilla but it fails to connect. The error is:
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (1x7,29,628,39,216,242)
    Command: LIST
    Error: The data connection could not be established: ENETUNREACH - Network unreachable
    Error: Connection timed out
    Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Any suggestions on what I can do so that it can connect successfully is appreciated.

2. lexvo macrumors 65816

Can you access the Synology from your internal network?

Maybe you need to set port forwarding to access your NAS from outside. I have to do this to access my QNAP.

3. brainwave89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you lexvo.

It is seen when I run the Synology Assistant but not when I try to ping its local IP Address..

I have the set port forwarding on the Apple Extreme downstairs. Is there anything I need to do on the Apple Extreme upstairs? Thanks.

4. lexvo macrumors 65816

No, you only need to do port forwarding on your main router.

By the way, do you have another router or is your Extreme downstairs your main router (and also has a connection to the outside internet)?

You should be able to see the Synology listed in the main router.

Maybe you have to set something on the Synology that allows FTP access?

Maybe you already done these things, just trying out some options here :)