No Fusion for 21" iMac!??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ali5289, Nov 27, 2012.

1. ali5289 macrumors newbie

How does the base 21" does not have the option to customize to the fusion drive???? Why should I have to get the higher end model and pay more? Hope this isn't true. Might just have to get a refurbished one then...
    Huge Apple fan here, but Apple has been messing it up lately. Also have been hearing about the RAM upgrade prices that people are mentioning...ridiculous.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/27/build-to-order-pricing-for-new-imac-models-revealed/

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

You are correct - the base 21.5 cannot have fusion drive.

3. singsopera macrumors member

My bad...I reread your passage...I see the Fusion is only upgraded on the second tier 21.5...that does stink!

4. rnb2 macrumors regular

The base model is actually pretty good for the money, and by not offering the Fusion Drive (or any other upgrades besides the RAM), Apple keeps the number of different configurations to a minimum to simplify production. This isn't any different than what Apple has always done - the base model of many machines have historically not had many upgrade options.

While RAM prices are still very high, they are actually improved over what they used to be. Not much comfort, I realize, but again, no change here. Apple has always been this way.

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

As i just said in a another post...could always buy external thunderbolt ssd drive and use something like carbon copy or super duper to clone osx to it,then use it as boot drive and use internal drive as extra storage....would presume tb ssd external would be faster then 5400 rpm sata drives.

6. ali5289 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey Tom,
    thanks, I will definitely look into that! Don't want to buy the high end model just so I can have fusion..stupid.

7. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

The difference is that in the past the base models were still user upgrade able. You could add more RAM or a different drive later. But now with MBA, then the rMBP and now the iMac that is no longer the case.