No G3's can run Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shu82, Jun 14, 2007.

1. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I understand my 400mhz imac g3 not running leopard. But not my last rev G3 ibook! Its got 32mb of vram, and plenty of ram. I'm still gonna try, I hope xpostfacto will work for this.

Who else feels let down, left out?

2. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Wow, chill out, eh? I half expected that my G4 wouldn't be able to handle Leopard, but thankfully it can. This is what happens when computers get outdated...

3. shu82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shu82

I just doesn't make sense, a 400mhz tibook is much slower than my G3 900 ibook. It just doesn't make sense:(

4. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

5. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

You are right, but (and I am completely guessing here because I don't know for sure) the G4 has altivec which probably makes a difference....

6. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

It's probably because it's an entirely different architecture that would take extra resources to support. They've gotta draw a line somewhere, and I guess it's unfortunate for you that they drew the line between G3 and G4.

Personally though, I don't think I'm going to bother upgrading my PowerBook to Leopard. Sure, it's a solid update, but nothing that I find particularly intriguing.

7. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

More information about the G4 and G3. The G3 lacks the Velocity Engine and that could be a reason why Leopard isn't supported.

8. G4DP macrumors 65816

sighed of relief.

I was hoping against hope that they would still support the G4. My machine will be 7.5 years old when 10.5 get released, that's a lot of machines that still run the latest OS, I know i'll need to buy a new mac soon, but that has helped to push it back a few more months.

9. radiantheat macrumors newbie

My G4 will not run leopard either

My 550 mz G4 powerbook will not run 9A466, installer claims it needs at least 800 mz. I am very unhappy. xpostfacto did not help. Ideas welcome.

10. shu82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shu82

Maybe installing it via target disk mode and a faster mac might work.

Wow 800mhz cuts out alot of the powermacs, and almost all of the tibooks. I gave my grandmother a 1ghz tibook so she could run all the programs/files from her old quadra. I was hoping it would run leopard.

Does that make the 1ghz tibook the fastest dual boot OS 9 and Leopard!

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The latest iLife doesn't support G3's. And that was over 18 months ago.

12. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Wow, this really scares me a lot. I hope it's only for testing purposes that anything below 800 mhz won't work. I have a powermac cube and would love to run Leopard without buying a processor upgrade just yet.

13. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

It seems that G3s (all) and G4s (800mhz and below) are not supported anymore with Leopard.

14. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Crap, my iBook g3 is 800 MHz. Oh well, I plan on skipping Leopard anyway, and it's not my main machine.

15. aquajet macrumors 68020

Wow. 800 mhz G4 is the latest requirement? That leaves out the lowest-end iMac G4s and eMacs. You'd think Apple would have required 700 mhz at the least. Oh well. Guess I won't be running Leopard on the Cube. Pity.

My guess is that it'll be possible to hack Leopard to run on slower G4s, but the G3 machines might present more of a challenge, if it's possible at all. If Altivec is a requirement, Tiger will likely be the last stop for G3s.

16. bluetooth macrumors 6502a

bluetooth

Sh*t...does that mean I'm out of the game too? See my specs below :eek:

17. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Why bother installing Leopard on a G3?

Leopard relies on a faster more up-to-date machine.

Sure Leopard is cool and has cool features, it is not worth it trying to push old hardware to use NEW software that was made for "Newer, Modern" hardware.
    You have a G4, you are fine.

18. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

I agree....I mean mac users have it sooooo good compared to windows. Look at vista requirements to run Aqua etc. Only the latest will do. You can run the current OS which is rock solid and excellent. I'm not sure what more you could expect....

19. appleman5791 macrumors newbie

My friends and me where messing around with a very similar iBook the other night. Using firewire drive and a motified OSXinstall.dist file in the Installer that removed the G3 limitation for installer.SOOO we found away to run leopard on a G3. Don't do it... Apps crash left and right. Safari 3.0 crashed at start up, Firefox seemed to run actually faster...weird. And even Opera crashed. We mounted a webcam and photo booth failed to recognize it. Many other problems. When we checked for updates, it found them... however when we tried to install the updated, the machine failed and completely shut off... HAHA. Time Machine worked. however, I did not try to back it up to anything. If you are bored and have nothing better to do, then I guess go for it. Otherwise I think Tiger should be perfectly fine. But whatevs..

Here is a similar story...

http://forum.macsales.com/viewtopic.php?t=2930&highlight=leopard

check it out.

If any one finds a way to get past the problems... let me know! I am just a bored college student trying to find some fun in life...haha

20. jmalena macrumors newbie

iBook G3 runs Leopard

iBook G3 runs Leopard if you install it as using the iBook as Target Disk via FireWire.

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Pictures please. Have you personally done this? If so, take a few screen shots.

22. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

False information in a 2 year old thread.

23. macx3127 macrumors newbie

Modify OSInstall

You can modify OSInstall.mpkg to allow it to install even w/a slower processor.

24. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

If you wanna run Leopard on an unsupported Mac, check this out: http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/unsupported.html

It'll probably be a bit slow and generally not exactly the most reliable thing ever, but you can get an install up and running if you follow a few extra steps.