Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blashphemy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
I flash 2.1 onto my iPhone EDGE, boot up the iPod app, hit the album art and I don't see the Genius icon. Is there a setting someone to turn Genius on like there was for iTunes or is it simply not on the 1st gen EDGE iPhone?

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
that happened to me when i first loaded 2.1 onto my iphone 3g. however i got mine working. Next time you sync your phone drag the genius icon from the play list menu into your iphone

see attached image if thats hard to understand

P.S. if anyone can tell me why my itunes is pink that would be good

Attachments

• genius playlist.PNG
    genius playlist.PNG
    636.7 KB · Views: 175

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Make sure you don't have "manually manage music and videos" enabled, or you will never see Genius no matter how many times you sync. You must have music auto-sync enabled.

I always switch on "manually manage music and videos" after filling up my iPod Touch or iPhone with media files, because it speeds up the sync process tremendously.

When auto-sync of music/videos is enabled, the sync process seems to spend a lot of time on checking the files or whatever, even though nothing has changed. Since I have my iTunes library on an ethernet hard drive (I have 4 computers, and 4 local and identical iTunes libraries would be a maintenance nightmare and a senseless waste of hard drive space), syncing the music takes a lot of time because it's done over the network, so I want to avoid it if I can. So... it's either no Genius + 2 minute sync time, or Genius + 30 minute sync time... OK, fine, no Genius it is.

trunksu

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
that happened to me when i first loaded 2.1 onto my iphone 3g. however i got mine working. Next time you sync your phone drag the genius icon from the play list menu into your iphone

see attached image if thats hard to understand

P.S. if anyone can tell me why my itunes is pink that would be good

try changing your desktop color depth from 16bit to 32bit. i had this problem awhile back and that did the trick. (the option should be where you change your desktop resolution in desktop settings)

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
Make sure you don't have "manually manage music and videos" enabled, or you will never see Genius no matter how many times you sync. You must have music auto-sync enabled.
I'm afraid to say that is wrong.
I manually manage music and videos. I use Genius on my iPhone by going to iPod --> Playlists --> Genius (it's right at the top)
It then asks me to choose a song to base my Genius playlist on.
Easy!;)

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
I manually manage music and videos. I use Genius on my iPhone by going to iPod --> Playlists --> Genius (it's right at the top)
Easy!;)

Beat me to it!

There is no way I could have my iPhone synch music as there isn't enough space for all my songs! It would be crazy to not let you use genius if you manually manage.

It did take me a while to discover that it was found in Playlists though :eek:

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Easy!;)
Well, the thing was that Genius didn't show up on my iPhone 3G after installing 2.1. So I ran Sync. Still nothing. So I ran Synd again. And again. And again. A total of 10 times or more. Then I thought, what the heck, I'll disable manual music management and see what that does. Bingo, finally Genius showed up under Playlists.

It's possible that I can enable manual management again now that Genius is there, but I'm telling ya, disabling it was the only way to please Genius...

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
try changing your desktop color depth from 16bit to 32bit. i had this problem awhile back and that did the trick. (the option should be where you change your desktop resolution in desktop settings)

Thank you so much. I was getting really pissed off with the colors all wrong. itunes 7 worked but as soon as 8 was on it went funny. Anyways all good now thanks.

MJFlash

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Hi, Folks!

The reason I believe that some folks are reporting that multiple syncs are required is simple: you aren't waiting for iTunes to generate all the Genius recommendations from your iTunes database. To make that process visible, after a new install, first enable Genius in iTunes, then create a genius playlist on your Mac/PC (to do that, select a tune, then press the Genius icon). After that, click on the Genius Playlist to the left part of the screen. For me, at least, this then revealed a progress bar that took several hours to complete, while iTunes apparently generated all the possible genius playlists for each tune in my library. After that's completed, you shouldn't have any problems seeing the Genius capabilities on your iPhone/iPod after you sync.

Cheers!
Mark

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Hi, Folks!

The reason I believe that some folks are reporting that multiple syncs are required is simple: you aren't waiting for iTunes to generate all the Genius recommendations from your iTunes database. To make that process visible, after a new install, first enable Genius in iTunes, then create a genius playlist on your Mac/PC (to do that, select a tune, then press the Genius icon). After that, click on the Genius Playlist to the left part of the screen. For me, at least, this then revealed a progress bar that took several hours to complete, while iTunes apparently generated all the possible genius playlists for each tune in my library. After that's completed, you shouldn't have any problems seeing the Genius capabilities on your iPhone/iPod after you sync.

Cheers!
Mark
Well, the thing is I did that several days before I installed 2.1 on the iPhone, because I also have an iPod Touch. Here's the chronological order, roughly:

September 9:
- Installed iTunes 8.
- Enabled Genius.
- Downloaded and installed 2.1 firmware for iPod Touch.
- Genius appeared under playlists on the iPod Touch on first try.

September 12:
- Downloaded and installed 2.1 firmware for iPhone 3G.
- Genius did not appear under playlists.
- Tried sync at least 10 times over the course of a few hours, but still no Genius.
- Disabled "manually manage music and videos" and tried another sync.
- At long last, Genius popped up under playlists on the iPhone 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.