no gestures on iPad 1 with iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mabaker, Oct 12, 2011.

1. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Can somebody please confirm Apple indeed cut the feature off for the first ten iPad?

TX

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is no longer on the iPad 1G. A jailbreak is needed to re-enable them.

3. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

4. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Jerk move, Apple.

I understand some new features may not work due to hardware limitations (airplay mirroring, ect), but this is just a "Screw You" to iPad 1 owners.

5. Saphire macrumors member

Saphire

I had it working in IOS 4 by editing the plist, now that won't enable them:(

6. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

I can't agree more! :mad: i thought that was the whole point of the multi gestures to give a better user interaction!

If you want multi gestures "buy an iPad 2" if you want Siri "buy an iPhone 4S" and they can't say it is a hardware issue as they both were running on this hardware previously?

7. KHC831 macrumors member

no, only 1 were running on ipad 1 before

8. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

Sorry i should have made myself more clear!

i was being flippant!! by saying if you want these fantastic services you have to upgrade :rolleyes:

i had multi gestures running on my iPad and Siri on my iPhone 4 ;)

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Four finger swipe change is slow on the iPad 2, I'd imagine it would be painful on 1. Still, they should have left the option.

10. wolfpackfan, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

The gestures worked great on the 1. This is nothing but pure greed by Apple. I am thinking that Apple isn't a company that I wish to do much more business with.

11. AR15MBP macrumors regular

I kind of feel the same way, and I just bought a 4S. This is such ********. One of the most used features for me and they yank it. Anyone try with Xcode 5? I only have 4.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They cannot be re-enabled with XCode. You must jailbreak to re-enable them.

13. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

There is no Xcode 5 yet. Only 4.2

14. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

i dunno what you did on yours, but all the multi-gestures run perfectly fine [fast] on my ipad2 and i've not seen any posts from other ipad2 users who say that it was slow for them.

as for those ipad1 owners who were caught by surprise not knowing that they were not available on the ipad1, you really ought to pay more attention and follow the news.

15. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

"it does everything it did when you bought it"

16. akohan macrumors newbie

I've read Macrumors religiously for the last 9 years. I don't recall seeing anything about removing the gestures covered even here.

Gestures made the iPad a useable productive device - multi-app workflows are the only way to get anything real done in iOS, and the home button isn't as convenient on iPad as it is on iPhone. I'm more disappointed by this change than by any previous shift Apple's made to the iPad, including the rotation lock switch debacle.

----------

If I wanted that, I'd buy an Android tablet.

17. saxman macrumors 6502

Deja Vu

They did this before with 2 finger scrolling with some of the PowerBooks once they released a new version. The trackpad on the older version was capable but they never released firmware for it. Had to use a hack to enable it.

I don't like it either, but this isn't exactly a new policy

18. Pixelryan macrumors newbie

Exactly how I feel. Hopefully if enough people liked the old way they can at least bring back as an option to the way it worked before so that we can save the wear and tear on our home buttons. I never used that button before and now i have to double click it.

19. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

Odd thing to say considering that Apple's own site still indicates they are available to iPad in general and doesn't specify that they are iPad 2 specific (like they do with AirPlay Mirroring).

20. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

The incredibly annoying thing is that it says on the IOS 5 feature site that it is for iPad, not just iPad 2.

[​IMG]

21. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I'm sorry to see the gestures go, but they really didn't work particularly well on my iPad 1 with many apps. Lots of blank screens and lots of waiting. It just wasn't good enough to roll out to general consumers.

People who think this is 'buy an iPad 2' ploy are paranoid. If that was their strategy they could have come up with something better than that and most users won't even know what they're missing.

22. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I got a iPad 2 but still love using my iPad 1 (using it now) and can't give up gestures, so it will forever stay on 4.3.3 unless the Dev Team or Apple fixes it.

Its hard to go back to button clicking when I been using it for over a year 1/2.

23. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I never realized how dependent I was on the gestures until I used my iPad 1 for an extended period last night. It's like going back to the dark ages. I am so very disappointed in Apple for doing this. This seems to be their way of doing business though. They release a new product but always hold things back from the old products so as to entice you to spend more money with them. Well not this time Apple. I will not upgrade and play your game. In fact you may have just lost a customer for life.

24. bufffilm, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

i recalling reading several threads at least a month ago which mentioned that the gestures were not working for ipad1 with the ios5 betas. if you do a forum search, you should find them.

i agree, gestures are a huge productivity feature. i enabled them on the second day that i got my ipad...imo a 'must-have' if you run multiple apps on your tablet.

25. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Agreed... Bad move Apple. They could have given us a choice to enable them or not. This iPad is still under warranty, I should not have to hack it to make this work.