No going back from built in batteries

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gfunkforce, Mar 9, 2010.

1. gfunkforce macrumors newbie

I think built in batteries are a good idea , but having to give your computer to apple and pay 200.00 after your battery dies is not.

how have your built in battery experiences been?

do they last long as stated ........7 hours?

not sure if i want to make the switch , i like my removable battery.

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I like my older MBP with its removable battery. I have a spare battery for it, so it offers an extra level of convenience when traveling.

I never got 7 hours of battery life out of my built-in battery. I could probably get almost six, but that may be pushing it.

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I've been able to get 4.5-5 hours with full brightness and keyboard lights on. I'm happy with that.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It really depends on your habits. If you need THE MOST time without power than the built-in battery is your only option. Someone like me, the standard removable battery fits well. 3.5-4 hours off battery is perfect for someone who will be off power but needs it for a good amount of time to do simple tasks and the rest of the time is on power.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I can get 5 hours of light use, thats with the screen and keyboard at full brightness:D I'm on a 13" MBP.

6. chriszzz macrumors 6502

Its $129 + tax.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If you've got through a battery, ain't that fair enough? There's a life span on such things. For normal use, that's a fair few hours of use. If it's a faulty battery you'd be covered within warranty, then AppleCare.

Tweak the settings and you'll get much more out of it. Maybe not 7 hours normally - but it depends on hat you use your Mac for.

8. Appleboy1717 macrumors regular

I have had every model of macbook pro since they released the core 2 duo in them. Apple replaced 3 from overheating and one from faulty screen and something else.
    Anyways, currently have the 1999 model with a upgraded harddrive 320 (7200rpm) and I LOVE this one. Its the fastest (dah) but the coolest. It does not burn like lap like the others, and the battery definitely lasts a LOT longer. don't know the exact time, but I always run full brightness and it seems to last a pretty good amount of time and a lot longer than previous models. Also, if you have the warrantee, apple seems to replace batteries for free..(did for me) so if you still have your laptop after 3 years, then your out of luck..but your batt will prolly be fading by then so apple might just replace it for you.

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Agree

Buying a replacement battery for a 15" MBP (previous generation w/ removable battery) was also the same $129. My daughter just bought a replacement battery for her HP laptop, and it was $140.

It does not cost more to replace a internal MBP battery... and you get the benefit of longer battery life. You do lose the ability to swap batteries mid-day (or mid-flight)... but I would gladly give that up to get the longer natural life out of the internal battery.

/Jim

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The OP does not list their country or currency. It may be 200 where they live.

Personally I'm not buying one with a non-removable battery. I have two batteries and often need to swap them in the middle of the day. With a removable battery I essentially have unlimited battery life (since I could theoretically go through a stockpile of batteries, although in practice I only need two) but I can't justify going to a system with a fixed battery life.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Are there not external batteries that you could plug into the MagSafe port? I know this isn't as friendly as swapping batteries because of the external blob hanging somewhere, but surely that can account for the extra life you need.

I'm also curious as to the situation in which you are completely away from a power outlet for an entire 8 hours or whatever. I can only relate from my iPhone use. I can easily make it through a day without a recharge, probably two if I don't do much video or lighten up on Web use. But I tend to drain about 40 percent of the battery daily, so I charge it up every night so I'm not at 10 percent near the end of the second night. But even if I was, I have a charging cable I can use on my computer at work and a plug for my car. I know that external batteries can be bought that plug in to the 30pin connector.

12. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

You forgot to include labor.

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Catch them on a good day and they'll drop labor ;)

14. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

There is no labor. And I believe they swap the batteries on the spot. No need to ship your laptop off somewhere.

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Right. There is no labour charge for the battery replacement (that would be pretty s--- if you were forced to pay extra for something that needs to be done through Apple).

16. webtoker macrumors member

They just take the opportunity to sell you something while the replace it :)

17. crobbins macrumors 6502

I get pretty darn close to 7 hours on mine, but..I run it with the brightness one setting away from the back light being off. That being said, I didn't think I was going to like the idea of not being able to swap batteries during the day, but I don't need to anymore!

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I usually get at least 6 to 6.5 hours, and it rocks. I don't care that its not exactly 7, it blows my previous computers (which were less than a year old) completely out of the water.

19. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Plus if the batteries do last the 1000 charges Apple claims I will never need to replace the battery. I have had my laptop for 9 months and only have gone through 72 cycles. So that's about 100 cycles a year, or 10 years of use :eek: I personally would be fine with just 5 years.

I would never carry around an extra battery so I prefer to have the extra battery life in exchange for a non hot swappable battery.

20. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

Exactly how I feel.

21. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I'm like the above posters in that I'd rather have a larger, built in battery than to have removable batteries, since I've never bought an extra battery for a laptop in my life. And I think this goes for most people that use laptops, as I don't know of a single person that owns a laptop that has ever swapped between two batteries. I'm sure Apple researched this and came to this conclusion as well. Besides, on my unibody white Macbook, I routinely get 6-8 hours of use out of it before a charge is needed, which is far longer than I need. My previous late 2008 unibody Macbook Pro (removable battery) could only get 4.5 tops before needing to be plugged in.

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Lol I usually keep the battery as long as I keep the computer, so I never have to replace it. :cool:

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, this is probably one of the main reasons for me not being tempted for a newer MBP. I like the ability to change out the battery.

With the introduction of the iPad, my need for a laptop is questionable as well. I could get an iMac at that point.