No GPS? Fail for runners

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Pewpewpew, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Pewpewpew macrumors member

So there is no built in GPS?

To map my run I have to run with my phone and my watch??

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd have to agree with you. If I were to be tempted by this, it would have to a GPS so I can use it on my runs.

3. Izauze macrumors 6502

It does require a device which does have GPS, but I agree that it would be much more convenient if I could leave the iPhone at home when I run.

4. balzmcfearson macrumors regular

balzmcfearson

Curious about this integration as well. The 5.5 is large to pocket for runs. I'm hoping there's is way the watch can track and then sync (I use nike) independently.

5. dewthedru macrumors regular

crap. i was all set to buy it to replace my garmin until i realized that i would have to actually carry around a G...D... phone as well. i need two devices to track my activities? please tell me how that makes anything better.

6. chicagofan00 macrumors regular

Do you ever run with your iPhone now to use for music? If so, then all your doing is strapping on the watch as a quick go to in order to view your mileage, change songs on your iPhone, track heart rate, etc.

If you don't use your iPhone while running for music and use another device, sure I can see the lack of GPS being an issue.

7. dewthedru macrumors regular

sometimes i do. but not on short runs and not during races. and runkeeper can already tell me my pace. my headphones can change my music.

it's cool. it's just not a replacement for my garmin which is disappointing.

8. Izauze macrumors 6502

9. Krandor macrumors 6502

yeah. I didn't think the Apple watch would replace my Garmin FR620, but no GPS in the watch by itself was a dealbreaker.

10. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Also surprised by this. Was hoping to stop running with my phone because I don't like armbands. I tried both Garmin (310XT I think?) and Nike watches but returned both.

Maybe due to hit on battery life?

11. Pewpewpew thread starter macrumors member

Def deal breaker for me, was so looking forward to it as well :(

12. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

I hate exercising with a phone in tow (too bulky and uncomfortable) and this is not going to replace my FR610 and HRM any time soon.

Likewise, despite the video showing a road cyclist, it will not replace the Garmin Edge 510 on my bike.

Fact is the watch with phone combo is heavier and more cumbersome than a FR/Edge and HRM, and nowhere near as comprehensive in detail for runners or cyclists.

They're trying to portray this as a device for beginners up to pros but it's not even close. It looks OK for novice to (maybe) intermediate use but there are far better options if you're serious about fitness.

13. larmende macrumors member

If it had a higher battery life than the 620? I love mine, but signed up for a 'longer event' and already start thinking about keeping it all in a device. You know, not on Strava -> didn't happen ;)

I think as a devise it is a step upon Nike Fuelband or Fitbit, but for a runner, cyclist, triathlete it isn't the right equipment.

14. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

The battery life of a Garmin Forerunner 610 is nothing special. And the Garmin interface is terrible. Nevertheless, I see a few limitations of the Apple Watch for runners. First, I don't carry a phone with me when I run, and I prefer not to. Second, my Garmin has a foot pod, so I can track pace if I'm under cover (tunnel, trees, etc.) as well as on an indoor track.

So for now, I don't see the Apple Watch replacing my Garmin. Too bad.

But for kayaking - the Apple Watch would be great, since I don't want to take my iPhone out of my dry bag.

15. Ann P macrumors 68020

Agreed. Total deal-breaker for me. Don't like running with my phone.

16. section215 macrumors member

section215

adding to the sentiment here... just so disappointing.

17. firewood macrumors 604

I have a couple Garmin GPS watches. In actual use, the battery doesn't come close to lasting an entire day.

I'd rather have the GPS on some sort of separate small clip pod with its own battery, so the GPS radio doesn't run down my wrist watch battery. Use the watch only for the readout.

18. mosher macrumors member

If u read carefully, you'll see
    "Apple Watch uses the GPS and Wi‑Fi in your iPhone to help measure the distance you travel during activities that can’t be measured in steps, such as cycling."

So it means that for running it doesn't need iphone to be near.

19. firewood macrumors 604

Only if you want a step count instead of an actual measured distance track.

20. hawk00eyed macrumors newbie

Big big bummer. Tracking runs/rides without my phone was one of my most anticipated features.

21. drogba macrumors member

Huge bummer when people are looking at this watch in comparison to Garmin and Polar. I'm sure they'll try and push the fact that you can just download an app of some sort to do this or buy a Nike+, but it seems strange for Apple to send that simple of a thing to another competitor. Or it's the conspiracy theory of them not adding key features to new products to ensure people buy the 2nd gen.

22. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

GPS is not accurate enough, IMHO. A second system like the russian GLONASS (iPhone) increases the accuracy, especially under non-ideal conditions (woods, cities, ...).

23. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]
    :cool:

24. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

:apple:Watch is primarily an accessory for the iPhone. You can't fit everything into that small thing.

25. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Real runners - manly runners - can easily tote around an iPhone.

:rolleyes: