No HDMI and no Keyboard Backlight after speaker replacement.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AeverbHead, Mar 14, 2017.

1. AeverbHead, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

AeverbHead macrumors newbie

AeverbHead

Hi there,

About 4 days ago I took my Mid-2014 15" Macbook Pro to the repair shop to have it's left speaker replaced. Everything went smoothly, they did the whole operation in front of me. The shop I took it to is located about 200 miles from my house so I'm trying to avoid having to go back as much as I can.

Today I hooked up my computer to my rig and the HDMI port is not working, then noticed I have no backlight on the keys either.

Some things I've gathered from reading about this and some I have tried:

-All the right side ports are on the same logic board, so it makes absolutely no sense that both USB and Card reader are working while the HDMI port isn't. They are hooked up to the motherboard through the same cable.

-Already went through a number of PRAM and SMC reset cycles.

-Installed gfx and forced discrete graphics.

-Option clicked on the display window and tried detect display.

- Of course tried different TVs and different HDMI cables.

-All other ports on the computer are working fine.

-Running El Capitan

-I even ran Ubuntu from a USB stick and even though I couldn't get anything showing on the TV, the OS recognized there was a Samsung display attached. Which could be a driver issue from ubuntu since it was running from the USB stick.

-Backlight and External Display issues seem to be related to SMC issues as far as I've read.

Suggestions?

I'm trying to avoid reinstalling the OS at all costs.

Thanks

2. AeverbHead thread starter macrumors newbie

AeverbHead

I just installed OS Sierra on a spare external hard drive, booted up successfully and yet there is no trace of the hdmi connection or the backlight on the keyboard? Am I screwed here?

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Doesn't look good. I'd call the repair shop and see if they'll warranty their work in the form of a repair. Seems likely they caused the problem.

4. AeverbHead thread starter macrumors newbie

AeverbHead

Yeah, thanks for the reply, I'll be on the way to the shop in the morning. Gonna be a long day...