Resolved No hdmi option in sound output

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sludeking, Jan 7, 2012.

1. sludeking, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

sludeking macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Just got a brandnew samsung led tv and because of this I have to use hdmi to get my mac running onscreen.

I've purchased a mini displayport to hdmi adapter and connected everything but I cannot for the life of me get any sound to come through the tv. The picture is there but sound still comes through my mbp's built-in speakers.

I've checked around and as far as I can tell my mbp (purchased June 2010) should support sound via the displayport.

I've tried looking around and reading various forum posts and all that but I just can't get it working.

Please help.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. sludeking thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the right adapter - the apple one that allows both picture and sound.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

In systen preferences make sure you see this :

Then select the TV as the sound output.

Also make sure the TV has speakers and they are turned on.

Attached Files:

5. sludeking thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the problem, i don't get the 'hdmi' option as an output.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What version OSX are you running and can you link to the TV and the cable you purchased ?

7. sludeking thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

As far as your MBP and that adapter :

*Audio support is only available for MacBook Pro 13/15/17-in. mid-2010 release; iMac 21.5/27-in. early-2010 release

If you have one of those I'd suggest going into the TV menu and making sure digital audio is turned on and the speakers are also turned on .

Then unplug the adapter and re-attach it.

9. sludeking thread starter macrumors newbie

As for my mac, it is a 17 mbp mid-2010 andill check the audio settings on the tv now and if i cant sort it ill takeit all down to the apple store monday.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'd also try the official Belkin adapter. It may be the Moshi adapter.

11. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Just so we can confirm you have the right model, goto the "Apple" menu and choose "About this mac" then choose "More info..." and finally "System Report."

What model identifier does your MBP have? If it is a mid 2010 it will be MacBookPro6,1

12. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Different HDMI input on the TV?

13. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Don't you have to restart the MBP with the adapter plugged in to the MBP and TV for the HDMI option to show up in should preferences?

I am not sure, it's been a while since I messed with it.

14. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I had this option for a LONG time! I would plug in the HDMI using the I think the belkin (I forget, its been a while since I opened the box :D) and it would just not work...when I updated to Lion and VLC (the media player I use) updated as well I got the option for HDMI! Before that I had to use a direct S/PDIF optical link to my receiver. Now the I just plug the HDMI in and it passes PCM/Dolby Digital over optical from the TV to the decoder...it won't however, pass DTS (VLC has to keep it at PCM which is fine sometimes I guess since my receiver does Pro Logic). If worst comes to worst, go on amazon and by a S/PDIF connecter for use with a surround sound decoder or one of those cables that lets you pass analog audio using any 3.5mm headphone port.

15. sludeking thread starter macrumors newbie

I've sorted the issue out. Problem with my motherboard, but it's been fixed now and it's all working again.