Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7422736m

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
Hi, all!
I am unable to watch any HDR/Dolby Vision content on Apple TV app with my new MBP.
I mean, I am able to watch the content, but the image gets no brightness boost that is expectable with HDR or Dolby Vision content.
I have the option to optimize video on battery mode unchecked and the built.in display profile is the correct one to allow for HDR content (Apple XDR Display (P3-1600 nits).
Also checked Apple support documents with no luck.
Any hints?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
You also need to go to System Preferences > Display and make sure that the High Dynamic Range checkbox is checked for your Mac’s display

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
OP: How are you determining that it isn't showing in HDR? Just that it doesn't appear as such to you or is there a way to verify that Apple TV is delivering HDR (and for that matter 4K)?

With Netflix it's easy to see the bit rate and whether HDR is active. Might be worth playing something on Netflix and seeing if it is the machine, Apple TV or something else.

7422736m

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
You also need to go to System Preferences > Display and make sure that the High Dynamic Range checkbox is checked for your Mac’s display
For the MacBook Pro 14 inch there's no such option. I believe that applies for other built-in displays other than the mini LED on the MacBook Pro 14 and 16 inch.

7422736m

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
OP: How are you determining that it isn't showing in HDR? Just that it doesn't appear as such to you or is there a way to verify that Apple TV is delivering HDR (and for that matter 4K)?

With Netflix it's easy to see the bit rate and whether HDR is active. Might be worth playing something on Netflix and seeing if it is the machine, Apple TV or something else.
It's not the machine as I can play HDR content on Youtube, and the difference is huge (as to be expected).
On Apple TV, it simply does not change the display brightness at all when compared to non-HDR content.
Regarding Netflix, I'll give it a try checking the bitrate, but aside from that, image is simply as if I was watching SDR content. It is way noticeable whenever HDR gets activated as the image and color simply pop up from it.

7422736m

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
Good. That's why I asked.
Knowing it has not to do with the hardware, I wonder why Apple TV App is not activating HDR nor Dolby Vision, and the same happens with Netflix, using Safari (and having checked all the prerequisites to be able to access 4k HDR/Dolby Vision titles).

7422736m

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
Anyone else not being able to watch HDR/Dolby Vision on MacBook pro 14/16, or at least not noticing the boost in brightness?

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Hi, all!
I am unable to watch any HDR/Dolby Vision content on Apple TV app with my new MBP.
I mean, I am able to watch the content, but the image gets no brightness boost that is expectable with HDR or Dolby Vision content.
I have the option to optimize video on battery mode unchecked and the built.in display profile is the correct one to allow for HDR content (Apple XDR Display (P3-1600 nits).
Also checked Apple support documents with no luck.
Any hints?

Have you tried switching to the HDR Video (P3-ST 2084) profile? That might resolve the issue with the Apple TV app.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
its terrible on the M1 Max display watching ted lasso on Apple TV app is so dark its not using HDR, I ended up downloading it in HDR and using infuse its working better, why wouldn't apples own app not use the best quality

raknor

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2020
its terrible on the M1 Max display watching ted lasso on Apple TV app is so dark its not using HDR, I ended up downloading it in HDR and using infuse its working better, why wouldn't apples own app not use the best quality
Seems fine to me. Can you post an image of what you are seeing comparing both Apps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.