No Headphone Audio Output option

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by engrish?, Dec 1, 2012.

1. engrish?, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

engrish? macrumors newbie

Hey,

A while back my headphone port stopped working on my macbook 4.1. I was looking through the audio output settings and I noticed that there is only one option for output which is internal speakers.

Should there be an option for headphones? How can I get it?

Thanks for your help. Hoping to get this sorted for Sunday Night Football!

This is what I see:

[​IMG]

Edit - image resized!

Attached Files:

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It will change if you insert the headphone jack, that's what I just tried and it changes upon insertion.

p.s. Please resize your screenshot, way too big.

Before expecting HW failure, it could be OS related, try repairing permissions and empty caches, also try to log into another account, if you don't have one create one and log into that account, see if the problem is still there.

3. engrish? thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I plugged the headphones in but it didnt give me another option.

Could you put that in simpler terms for me? I'm not especially techie literate :eek:

I noticed that when putting the headphones in there is less resistance than normal. It doesnt feel like it is secure, its easier to pull it out than I remember.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

1. Open Disk Utility in Applications-Utilities.
    2. Then click on the disk you are on in the left pane.
    3. Then in the right pane there is a tab called first aid, normally it opens up in this one, if not on click it.
    4. You will see in the lower part of the window a button called "Repair Permissions" click on it.

It can take a while before it finishes.
    What it actually does is to set the file and folder ownership, if something is not right this could cause problems.

5. engrish? thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that, unfortunately its still not detecting the headphones. I fear that they may have been jerked out causing damage to the headphone speaker/port. Is there a way to check this or resolve it cheaply?

Thanks again